700 PSS .308 - persistent rumor re: no civilian sales

Jeff Thomas

Seems as though I've heard this before, that Remington will no longer offer these for civilian sale ... just saw it again on the 'net the other day.

Is this for real? If so, why? If not, why do these rumors keep coming?

Regards from AZ

I don't know if it's a rumor or not. I did see NIB PSS 700s for sale at a show about 3 weeks ago.
Sounds pretty stupid if it is true. It's just a bolt gun. Any decent smith can build you one that is probably better anyway.

We have a Remington LE dealer here in Columbia. I've asked about this and the manager is unaware of any restrictions. They have both the LA PSS and the SA. They are also a Glock LE dealer and they do restrict those.

BTW, for the money the PSS is extremely hard to beat. Forget the exact count, but out of the six or so that I've worked with, only one required some load developement to get sub-MOA for five shots.

I'm sure a 'smith could build a better gun but not for that price.

Giz

The Police line of Remington rifle sales (PSS and Police DM) are restricted to Law Enforcement Firearm Distributors.
They are not cataloged rifles for sale to the civilian market but are not restricted for LEO firearm distributors to sale to the general public.
This isn't something new this has been this way for many years.
I purchased mine in 1996 and ask 5 dealers to get me their best price on the rifle. 2 came back the next day and told me Remington wouldn't even let them order it because they were not police distributors, but another dealer came back with the right price and I bought it from him.
TS

I asked in a local gunshop the other day, and was told it would run me about $1400 to get a PSS LTR (think that's the designation). Is this about standard? I thought it seemed a bit high...

Reccomendations for quality, lower-cost substitutes?

(Dammit! I was planning on emailing Gale today for his suggestions... :()

A local store I frequent has them for $715 with the fixed floor plates , this is about the going price I have been seeing at gun shows in my area . Good luck , Mike...

Spectre: That is a good price for 2! I just saw PSS rifles for a low of $630 and a high of $789! Do not know how this low dealer does it. LTRs were $725.

C&E Show at the Showplace in Richmond, VA on May 20 weekend.

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it.

Would anyone care to comment about velocity and accuracy 'tween the PSS and LTR?

Since Remington has nothing on their web site re: the PSS, LTR, etc., does anyone have a source of info where I can read more about these models?

Thanks. Regards from AZ

Back