700 build question

wjarrell

Hey guys I'm kicking around the idea of doing a build for long range hunting deer sized game. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm RM that I'd like to build off. I'm santa stay with 7mm RM because I have all the reloading components already. Not sure what barrel company to go with. I was thinking of a Bartlein barrel because Red Hawk Rifles has one in stock, (stainless, 5r, 1 in 9 twist, #4 bull sporter.) I will be loading 168 vld.

A buddy of mine just finished a 6.5 creedmoore on a model 7 action, he went with Douglas Barrels. Just looking for some advise I guess, never done a build before so I'm not sure what barrel company to go with.

Have you had your action "trued" up yet? I have a number of 700 builds with different barrels. If you are going to reload you need to give the maker a load of what you want it to shoot. This doesn't always work out but a really good smith can cut the chamber to exactly what you want. Head spacing, seat distance from the lands, oal, there's so much that can be factored in for the really serious shooters it's alot more complicated than just barrel maker. There are alot of people on here much more educated than myself to answer your question. Just be expecting as many questions as answers.

Bartlein barrels are good to go. They are definitely top notch quality. I have 3 Bartlein barrels of different calibers. (300WM 6.5CM and 7mm-08) and the worst shooting of the bunch is .6xx inch group for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Most custom barrel makers do a good job and the big names (Bartlein is one) are known for their quality. I would not hesitate to use one of them and that it is available is a great reason to.

Hey guys I'm kicking around the idea of doing a build for long range hunting deer sized game. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm RM that I'd like to build off. I'm santa stay with 7mm RM because I have all the reloading components already. Not sure what barrel company to go with. I was thinking of a Bartlein barrel because Red Hawk Rifles has one in stock, (stainless, 5r, 1 in 9 twist, #4 bull sporter.) I will be loading 168 vld.

A buddy of mine just finished a 6.5 creedmoore on a model 7 action, he went with Douglas Barrels. Just looking for some advise I guess, never done a build before so I'm not sure what barrel company to go with.

Bartlein, Kreiger, Douglas and a host of others are all fine barrels. Considering this will be a hunting rifle and not a heavy contour match barrel I would think economical. I would consider a pre cut chamber (short chamber) barrel which are pretty common for a Remington 700 long action. Find a good smith to true your action and screw a good hunting barrel on. I just can't see starting with a barrel blank in 7mm and having a custom chamber cut for a hunting rifle. Your call on this but a target rifle starts gaining weight pretty quick with the match barrel, not something I want to take hunting.

If I may ask what is wrong with the existing barrel?

Ron

My rifle start out as a Remington 700 LTR 308 cal. After 4000+ rounds the barrel I called Accurate Ordnance. They install a Rock Creek M24 5R 11.27 twist barrel , trued the action, bolt face , locking lugs & bedded the HS Precison 700P stock. Had the barrel cut to 21" got it back in 5 weeks. They have barrels in stock, saved me a lot of time. Give them a call , it was the first time I ever had any custom work done. They put my mind at ease. My range friends can't believe how accurate it shoots off a bi - pod average group 1/2" 200 yards 5 shot group. Love the rifle , its my one an only. Wouldn't want to shoot any other rifle . Can't go wrong using Accurate Ordnance. Hope I Helped.

Last edited:
I have 5 tags for deer and antelope so for (5) rifles, I have chambered (3) new rifles and fixed up (2) more original barreled rifles.

From the top:
1) Pre 64 M70 25-06 Shilen stainless select match stainless 257 #3 taper 8" twist 25" barrel painted black with Aluma hyde II
9.2 pounds with NXS scope

2) Type 99 Arisaka 308 American Springfield WWII surplus 20" chrome moly barrel
7.8 pounds with Simmons scope

3) Rem 700 SA 6mmBR Stainless Super Match. 1-8" Twist. 6mm. Polygonal rifling. 28" long. Factory Remington Mountain Rifle Contour painted black with Aluma hyde II
7 pounds with Leupold 3x9 CDS

4) Rem 700 LA 7mmRemMag Benchmark #5 taper 9" twist 5 groove Ratchet rifling 28" barrel painted black with Aluma Hyde II
13.5 pounds with IOR 10x56 scope

5) Browning B78 25-06 original 1994 Japanese barrel 25" chrome moly
8.8 pounds with Leupold 3.5x10 CDS scope

Last year I got my big mule buck with a Krieger 300 Win Mag barrel I put on a Mosin Nagant. That was painted black by Kreiger. I shot does with a 6.5-06 Shilen select match ratchet rifling.

I don't think the brand of barrel matters much for hunting.
At this time in the year, for hunting 2016, I would buy anything and get going.
The barrel may be here in 2 days and you can thread, chamber, and headspace a barrel in a day, but all those other little details add up after that. It is almost time to start target practice at long range.

Attachments

• 5 rifles b 9-12-2016.jpg
    5 rifles b 9-12-2016.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 202
Can't go wrong with Bartlein.
I mostly use Shilen, as I feel they've got a great intersection with price point and quality.

Check with your smith re: the 168 VLD's and the standard throating to be sure you'll have adequate freebore. Shouldn't be an issue, just something to confirm.

Clark
Very nice collection. As for hunting , I saw a deer once , it happened so fast I wouldn't swear to it though. I do remember my hands & feet were freezing. I do love the woods.

Back