700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag

wjarrell

I'm fairly new to rifles and very green to long range shooting and hunting. I'm not at all interested in competition, just hunting deer sized animals and shooting steel out to 800 yards for practice.

My wife bought me a Remington 700 ADL in 7 rem mag for our wedding anniversary. I was pretty excited about it. She got it from Sportsmans Warehouse, it came with 26" barrel and junk cheap scope, rings, and bases. When I picked up the gun I bought a box of HSM 168 grain vld's and went shooting. While I got it on paper, it was pretty obvious that the scope wouldn't track, aiming at bulls eye and hitting 8 inches to the left and 4 inches high. (I had no expectations for the factory scope or rings.) So for the rest of the box I continued to aim for the same spot to see if I could get the gun to group. If I remember right it was shooting about an inch at 100 yards with the factory scope rings and bases.

I already have one piece Talley rings mounted and in a month or two I will be putting a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 on it. Next will be a Timney trigger. I'm pretty confident that the new and better rings and scope will improve my groups. If I can get sub moa groups with HSM 168 vld that is what I will shoot, if not I will load for it. Does anyone shoot this gun or have any reviews on it? Am I on the right track?

Thanks, Will

Several things pop out here.
You stated that the "scope wouldn't track" and the POI was "8" left and 4" high". Where did the POI go when you adjusted the scope?
Since you stated you're "fairly new to rifles", jumping right into a 7mm RM is a BIG step. Recoil is significant and the skills required to accurately handle that much recoil are LEARNED(not born with).
Choosing a "specialty ammo" may not be advantageous even though the ammo box says it's sooper-dooper accurate and suitable for "long range".

I shot a super accurate 7mmRM for several years as my primary hunting rifle-until health problems stopped me shooting the higher recoiling calibers. I shoot a 25/06 now. Similar trajectory and adequate performance for the game I'm able to hunt now.

Good news is you shot a 1" group first time out with a 7 Mag. Doesn't sound like the recoil bothers you. I shoot an older 700 BDL 7 Mag with a good older Leupold. I'm also puzzled by your "scope doesn't track" statement. Sounds like you just needed to adjust the zero. But to your upgrades. I put a Timney trigger on mine. It's a better trigger, and my original had been buggered by some previous owner. Good upgrade, although it won't impact your groups much. Scope mounts? Well, if you've already done it, OK, but I wouldn't unless the originals are defective. Scope upgrade? I'd shoot it some more and get schooled on all the many options before investing a lot of money.

I reload, and every one of us will tell you to do it. Especially if you are buying expensive premium ammo, you will save money. Also, most rifles have a load or two that is most accurate in that rifle. Mine shoots 160 Nosler Accubond and 160 Sierra GameKing well, but for some reason, it doesn't much like Hornady SST's. Your results may vary.

I guess I shouldn't have said I'm new, I should have said I'm not as experienced as some of you guys.

I know that the scope doesn't track because after a few shots I put the cross hairs back on the bulls eye, looked through my scope, and adjusted the scope until the cross hairs where back into my group. Let the gun cool for 15 minutes and started a new ground and I was back in the same spot, high and left. I Tried this several times with the same results.

My son has the ADL in 7mm Rem Mag, he got it about 5 years ago and we've done a lot of testing with it. With the right reloads it'll shoot right at MOA for 3 shots, more than accurate enough for hunting.

I know what you mean concerning the scope and mounts, the one's that came on it were junk. We replaced them with Weaver Grand Slam mount and rings, and put a Leopold VX-3 3.5-10 on it. We have also replaced the XMark trigger with a Timney as the stock trigger was inconsistent in pull weight. All the upgrades have been done over time, as his budget would allow. At some point I would like to see him replace the stock, the factory one is about the worst I've ever seen in terms of flex in the forend.

His rifle does not seem to prefer any specific bullet, we've used Hornady 154 grn SST, Nosler 150 grn E-Tips, Sierra GK 150 and 160 grn, and Berger 168 grn hunting VLD's, and at some point in load development all but the Berger's shot that same MOA 3 shot group. I believe with more work the Berger's would have gotten there. We've tested with multiple powders too, IMR7828, IMR4350, IMR4831, R17 and R22. All shot good enough but 7828, 4831, and 4350 seems to do a little better than the others so we've stuck with them the last couple of seasons.

I don't know if you'll get your rifle to shoot sub MOA, especially with factory loads, but for a first rifle and one you'll be able to easily upgrade it has impressed me.

OK, you're adjusting the scope with no movement in the group. Sounds like the scope is defective. The manufacturer should replace it for you. Your scope adjustment approach is a new one for me, though. Most of us would look at a group high and left and simply adjust the scope down and right the appropriate amount. Presuming your scope is typical, 1/4 minute per click. Never heard of looking through the scope while you did that, but I learn something new every day.

I'm not even sure the manufacture of the scope or rings. Nothing is labeled and there is no info in the owners manual. The scope would be replaced with a dialing scope even if it worked right.

The scope is likely fine and you're very likely anticipating the recoil. Not entirely unusual for a new shooter with a heavy recoiler like a 7mm Rem Mag.
Start by installing a recoil pad. Then sighting in at 100 yards so the group is about 4" high. Hold the rifle tight into your shoulder too.

O'Heir I personally think there is no way that I am flinching enough to throw the hole group high 4" and left 8". The recoil of a 7mm mag is mild to me. I shoot my Model 7 sub moa no problem with my reloads so I know it's not me.

I'm going to sight the rifle dead on at 200 yards, put it on his back at 300-350 yards, and dial for further shots. I appreciate all the info so far.

Back