700 5R range report.

5RWill

Been a while since i've shot groups like i used too. Anyway now back to shooting now that i have time off for the holidays. Seems i still have a decent trigger pull. I wasn't expecting to group this good. The 3 that aren't circled are me adjusting the scope. The one circled is a fouling shot i let me friend shoot. Thats probably the best group i've ever shot. Was shooting Black Hills match 168gr BTHP. Trigger is at a 1 pound pull, no recoil. She shoots like a beaut :D

20k269j.jpg

36028_1337146910490_1285620147_30773994_326575_n.jpg

I agree. Those are just the Black Hills 168gr. HPBT. I have about 25 155gr lapua scenars loaded that i haven't grouped yet.

PS, I can't recall which forum, but I recently posted a question about the ss 5r mil-spec and if I remember correctly people were getting their best groups with 168 and 175 gr offerings. FGMM is a favorite. Post results of different ammo to this thread if u get a shot. Nice rifle, btw.

I never had the best luck with Black Hills in my 5R which is surprising since I can't reload a more accurate round than BH for my PSS. Anyway, I shot FGM 168's yesterday in the 5R and got easy 1/2 MOA 5-shot groups. However, my 'go to' handload for this rifle (sub .5 MOA) is:
43.8 Varget
CCI BR2
fire formed & prepped Lapua brass - neck sized only using a Lee collet die
175 SMK seated at 2.80"

I'll take pics & post them next time I hit the range.

TopCoat said:
Nice...What kind of scope is that?

Thanks, its a U.S. Optics SN-3 3.2-17X44mm.

ARDogman said:
PS, I can't recall which forum, but I recently posted a question about the ss 5r mil-spec and if I remember correctly people were getting their best groups with 168 and 175 gr offerings. FGMM is a favorite. Post results of different ammo to this thread if u get a shot. Nice rifle, btw.

Thanks, i have some groups of 155gr lapua scenars, winchester primers, and varget, that i will post as soon as i get a chance to shoot again, it's supposed to rain for the next 3 days here.

brmfan said:
I never had the best luck with Black Hills in my 5R which is surprising since I can't reload a more accurate round than BH for my PSS. Anyway, I shot FGM 168's yesterday in the 5R and got easy 1/2 MOA 5-shot groups. However, my 'go to' handload for this rifle (sub .5 MOA) is:
43.8 Varget
CCI BR2
fire formed & prepped Lapua brass - neck sized only using a Lee collet die
175 SMK seated at 2.80"

I'll take pics & post them next time I hit the range.

I bought a box of BH just to run through the rifle when i first got it and now finished them off. I shot them at 50 yards when breaking in the barrel and didn't shoot that good. Thanks for the reload data definitely will refer back to it if i ever shoot 175gr SMKs. I'm hoping my 5R will stack these 155gr scenars even with the 11.25 twist. Be sure and post your pics when you get a chance.

Back