7 shot 32 HR mag revolver from Charter Arms

Why not .327 Federal? This is puzzling...

A. Many, many people who own a .327 mag say they carry it loaded with .32 H&R.

B. Charter Arms will sell as many of these as they can, then issue the .327 mag and sell a bunch more, including lots of them to people who bought the .32 H&R version first.

Granted, those people who carry .32 H&R in their guns chambered for .327 mag are probably carrying Ruger LCR's and the light weight of the gun makes issues of recoil and controllability. That would include me.

I think 32 H&R Magnum is a great caliber, I have several revolvers in it,, mostly Charter Arms, and because of the lighter recoil, I am very accurate with them

I spoke with Nick Ecker a couple years ago about bringing back 327 Federal in Charter revolvers, and he said they would NEVER offer 327 Federal revolvers again. Never say never, but that was his response

I like it. I would like it better if it came with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I wouldn't want it in 327 for sure. If I bought a 327 I would get the Ruger single action with a 7.5" barrel to take advantage of the extra power.

But I am always glad to see more interest in anything 32 caliber. I have four 32 mags and three 32 long revolvers and one 32acp Walther PP. I don't have any 327 guns. Never saw the need for one. I rarely shoot full power 32 mags.

I'm with those who would prefer it in .327mag, but 3" barrel, 22oz and 7 rounds, I'll definitely have to consider it assuming it gets on the approved list for Maryland.

Wait a minute... This is a steel revolver and is only chambered for .32 H&R Magnum? Why not .327 Federal? This is puzzling...
Main reason is because .32 H&R is sufficient for self defense. I hate to bring up a boutique ammo, but Buffalo Bore makes a "+P" .32 H&R load that is almost 1200 fps from a 3 inch barrel, which is around 315 ft/lbs of energy. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I'd also have to believe that in order to keep it a smallish 7 shot revolver, the pressures can't be at .327 levels, so it's likely a safety issue. Still, that cylinder looks extra thicc.

I haven't tried 85 grain .327 loads yet, but 100 grain JSP in my SP101 was a stout load. In .32 H&R, a 100 grain projectile would not be anywhere close to the recoil and noise as the .327 does.

The .327 is a great cartridge, I think it's best use is in a rifle, but you put it in a small to medium sized frame revolver and it starts to become a bit too much with the full power loads. In GP100 sized revolvers I'm sure it's fine, but you're talking about a revolver built around .357, so naturally it's going to be more controllable, but you're then moving down in caliber and not getting any extra capacity.

Not the case for .32 H&R revolvers. The one thing I won't like about this revolver tho is it uses .32 H&R brass and that brass is so thin I get bulges frequently when reloading it.

I still have an old full-sized steel revolver in .32 H&R Magnum. It's kind of a fancy paperweight that could be used as a gun these days. As far as pressure and construction, the LCR is tiny and holds up just fine. Is it possible that Charter Arms is using a different kind of steel or that they're adapting some kind of existing design pattern that might not hold up with .327 in the long term?

Hum....

I find this to be VERY interesting...

I REALLY like handguns chambered in .32 caliber cartridges... Always have, always will...

And a 7 shot .32 Magnum? VERY interested...

Glad to see this coming out ... I will be a customer for sure. I love .32 H&R Mag ... but have no use for .327 Fed Mag. I bet it will be a big seller.

I wish S&W would notice what the 16-4’s are selling for ... and bring them back!

Looks like a remake of their "Patriot", but on the bigger Bull Dog frame, 3" barrel and in 32 H&R.
I have their Patriot in 327 Fed Mag, 2 1/4" barrel, six shot on the smaller Mag Pug frame. Slightly larger than a S&W J, but smaller than a K. Perfect revolver carry size !! And an extra round over the 5-shot 38/357's.
327's are hard on mine, so I reload (to maximum) 32 H&R's 100gr for range use and carry Black Hills 85gr. I wish the BH's were more stout, since the Patriot is chambered for 327. I'll have to look into those +p's in 32 H&R. Would like just a little more punch in between the 32 & 327. Maybe the +p's are the ticket.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600791&page=2
Almost forgot: Even though I said the 327's handle good in this link, they are hard on the revolver and I can only shoot a couple of cylinders at the range.
No wonder Charter wanted to chamber their new one in just 32 H&R.

Last edited:
Main reason is because .32 H&R is sufficient for self defense. I hate to bring up a boutique ammo, but Buffalo Bore makes a "+P" .32 H&R load that is almost 1200 fps from a 3 inch barrel, which is around 315 ft/lbs of energy. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I load 85gr 32 mag loads with an 85gr bullet that gets 1305fps from a 5.5" Ruger single six and 1250fps from a 4" SP-101. And those are book loads with Hodgdon L'il Gun powder.

Thats why I have no real interest in a 327. If that won't do the trick then a little more from a 327 won't help.

Back