• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

7-9-07 THR outage

Derek Zeanah

THR is out right now. We had a 10 minute DOS attack earlier, and another piped up later in the morning.

The interesting thing about this attack is that both attacks were preceeded by a telephone call where the caller spoofed the caller ID (it registered as Hillary Clinton's campaign headquarters) and had a modulated voice. It looks like it was simply spoofcard.com, though they won't give any information without a request from law enforcement.

The good news is any contact from law enforcement is good enough - they don't actually require a subpoena. I've talked with my telephone company and apparently I'll need to go through legal before we get more information on the call logs other than the fake caller ID information, but there we go. I'm working through that process now.

If any LE types here want to help out you're welcome to contact me via my gmail address (derekzeanah@gmail.com); my wife knows a couple of local detectives around here that we can use but odds are they're fairly busy today.

Also, it's likely time we get the FBI involved in this. If you've worked through that particular process and feel like you can step me through it and save some of the headaches, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Sorry for the inconvenience and down-time associated with this.

The interesting thing about this attack is that both attacks were preceeded by a telephone call where the caller spoofed the caller ID (it registered as Hillary Clinton's campaign headquarters) and had a modulated voice. It looks like it was simply spoofcard.com, though they won't give any information without a request from law enforcement.

Interesting indeed.

I'll need to fill out some paperwork before I can get the detailed information I'm looking for from my telephone company, which will likely be tomorrow (my contact person is apparently in court today).

Just thought I'd post the update.

Looks like we're back up again.

Bandwidth graph attached.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7-9-07-morning-dos.gif
    7-9-07-morning-dos.gif
    20 KB · Views: 204
I hope that you can get some help with your DDOS attacks, how large were they? We have a very large forum hosted on our network that gets DDOS attacks from KNOW sources and even with friends that are in the FBI they will not work with them to prosecute unless you have some major financial losses that you can prove. You need to get some good protection put into place. Email me at lboyd@zogmo.com

Back