7.65 Mauser WWI Questions

wordtank

Inactive
Hi folks.

My father fought in France and Germany during WWII and got this pistol from a German soldier. I've been doing some research on the net and have an interesting question.

On one Web site I found info about the 7.65 mm Model 1910, but the photo had a different slightly different grip (it curves in a bit more on the rear of the grip) the the weapon I have. However, the pistol I have is marked 7.65, while the MOD version was listed as a 6.35.

Were the Model 1910 and the MOD 1910 specs somewhat interchangable? I guess I'm asking if the pistol I have here is some sort of fluke, or if the Model MOD 1910 also came in the 7.65 variety.

Also, trying like the dickens to see if I can get this guy apart to check the serials (the slide and the "main part" have idendical serials in the 300,000 range). The weapon is in excellent condition from what I can tell - the clip is a bit scratched up and a LITTLE rusty, but the exterior of the weapon looks almost new.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!
- tank

Bingo.

Says 1934 Model. Interesting. What do I have my hands on here?

I did actually get it apart down a bit, and all the serials I can see match. The photo in the auction page you linked me too looks about the same condition as what I got.

Thanks for your help! Very fast! Any other info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

However - the markings seem to be slightly different. The right side of my pistol simply says "MAUSER - 7,65", but I cannot read the one in the photo exactly.

And I see no "eagle" on this weapon.

The M1910 is a .25 cal. (6.35) pocket pistol, whilst the M1914 is a .32 (7.65). They are both commercial pocket pistol designs.
During WWI, German Ordnance took into service the M1914 as a secondary sidearm. These have an ordnance acceptance stamp.
The M1934 is a M1914 with a few changes - as you noted, there is a pronounced palm swell in the backstrap. I think the take-down lever was also changed from machined to bent spring steel.
Some M1934s were used by the German Navy (Kriegsmarine) during WWII.
Here's a website that includes disassembly instructions for the M1910.

http://www.gunsworld.com/assembly/mauser1910_ass_us.htm

JT

Back