7.62x59 Ammo Czech? What U.S. Caliber?

Firemeister

Inactive
I have a crate of 7.62x59 ammo. I believe it is Czech. What can you tell from the crate labeling? With what rifle can it be used?(s)? Is it equivalent to .303? 30.06 etc? It is FMJ, steel core I believe.

What can you all tell me? I'm interested to learn and whether I have a rifle that will shoot this ammunition.

If it's 7.62x45 Cezch it's made for the rare but not totally unavailable vz-52 rifle - found a rifle in shootable condition on GunBroker for $525 opening bid. If not, I'll bet there is someone here looking for that crate of ammo.

Edit to add - a quick surf of the net shows "7.26 59" on Czech ammo means 7.62 caliber adopted in 1959, and this ammo is very likely 7.62x54R, useable in Mosin rifles and carbines, as well as some others. If it has a silver tip painted on it, then it is Czech Light Ball, definitely good rifle ammo, not the heavier machinegun ammo.

7.62x59, or 7.62 - 59 ?

My current guess is Czech silvertip 7.62x54r. 7.62x54r performs similarly to .308.

It's not usable in much outside Mosin Nagants. Everything else is a $1k+ collectible.

Czech 7.62x59

Yep! It is silver tipped and has a "dorky" case head. Looks like Mosin ammo to me. I uploaded 3 pictures.

There also a dozen or so "clipper strips." If I don't shoot it all up, what is a fair price for 800 rounds?

I hope they show.

Thanks all!

Mosin ammo is 7.62 x 54R. Similar to .30-06 and 7.62NATO. Czech ammo(head stamped 'BXN') comes in heavy or light ball. Which one you have will determine its value.

Light ball is great rifle ammo - that was my ammo of choice when I had a few Mosins. In an M-38 it produces a fireball like no other. :D

All Warsaw Pact countries used standard markings on the spam cans, or were supposed to at least.

pact_ammo_markings.jpg

Lots of info here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm

Back