7.62x54R

Ledslnger

Anyone recommend a place to buy this ammo? I am split on buying reloadable brass or any old crap. Still haven't decided if I would ever reload this.

I have a Mosin and Molot Vepr chambered in 7.62x54r. I could reload the brass out of the Mosin but the Vepr chews that case something fierce is seems like. Going to see if I can adjust anything so I can fire brass and keep it for my one day reloading journey.

When in doubt feed em steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammoforsale.com

...has 500 rds of 148gr FMJ by Wolf for $250.

I see similar prices elsewhere.

Georgia Arms has brass cased hunting ammo for $40/box of 20.

I don't have a 7.62 x 54r so no opinion on the ammo.

If you just plink and screw around with it, buy crap ammo. It won't matter.

If you use it a bit more seriously, buy brass-cased, boxer-primed and reload.
PPU and Lapua brass are, in my opinion, the best for the cartridge. But S&B is plenty usable.

Reloading match-grade ammo, at maybe $.60/round, is really no more expensive than steel cased commercial ammo.

The 54r is every bit as capable as the 7.62 NATO and then some...so there is nothing "deficient" about the round- it remains the oldest military cartridge in the world, still in active use.

If you reload, no reason not to do so IMO...as there's little to no premium in cost:, whether the rifle shoots 1/2 minute or 2.

"...reloadable brass or any old crap..." Depends on what you're shooting. A ratty old beat up Mosin-Nagant won't be up to high end ammo. A Finnish M39 is a different thing.
You reload so you're using the best possible ammo out of your rifle. Reloading isn't about saving money.

A ratty old beat up Mosin-Nagant won't be up to high end ammo.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

Properly fitted to the stock, I would expect an improvement with properly tailored handloads over factory stuff on any Mosin, definitely over surplus ammo.

"...reloadable brass or any old crap..." Depends on what you're shooting. A ratty old beat up Mosin-Nagant won't be up to high end ammo. A Finnish M39 is a different thing.
You reload so you're using the best possible ammo out of your rifle. Reloading isn't about saving money.

I don't know about any of that. The 91/30 can be made, easily, to shoot up there with the Finnish rifles:

http://www.smith-sights.com/accurizing-the-mosin-nagant-a-year-later.php

I cast bullets and handload for the .45acp because it saves me lots of money. Even the 7.62x54r shows savings over the average non-crap target ammo out there. I load SST rounds cheaply, and they are better than the factory SST rounds.

Regards,

Josh

I have a Mosin and Molot Vepr chambered in 7.62x54r. I could reload the brass out of the Mosin but the Vepr chews that case something fierce is seems like. Going to see if I can adjust anything so I can fire brass and keep it for my one day reloading journey.

When in doubt feed em steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. It seems the Mosin isn't worth shooting the good ammo, and the Vepr
chews brass up so bad it's not worth buying it. Seems like if you have something really good
in the caliber, or you have a tweaked 91/30, it might be worth the extra expense.
It's just not worth it to me. I know Barnes and Speer used to make good brass ammo in the caliber, with Boxer primers. PPU also makes some very respectable shooting stuff, but be sure it's
not Berdan primed.

PPU also makes some very respectable shooting stuff, but be sure it's
not Berdan primed.

It is not. Commercial PPU ammo is how I collected all my current batch of reloading brass for my PU Sniper.

I've over 2,500 rounds of surplus x54 I stacked deep back in the early 2000s when it wasn't much over $0.10 a shot.

And no, none of it is for sale.

If you've already got the press/components, might as well get the dies and reload it. It is possible to knock out berdan primers with water, Or you can bore out the rear of the case and use boxer primers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If you reload already, definitely a good route to go... I don’t have the space to do it, but if I did, I’d probably have the ability to reload most of my calibers. Hell, I’d probably buy a .303 Lee Enfield just to have that caliber...

Surplus wise, you can find it... but it isn’t priced as it used to be. When you do find it, it is light ball (149 grain). I have some heavy ball (182 grain) squirreled away. Also have some Winchester (180 grain) around.

I just have a PU sniper and a M38. Had a M44, but rather a carbine without the side-folding bayonet.

I don’t have the space to do it,
I started reloading in a 600 sq ft, 2nd floor apartment. There is always enough room.

I actually neck size for my PU Sniper with a Lee .308 Win Collet Die, I drop a washer around the case when I put it in the shell holder as a spacer to push up on the collet. Works great. Neck tension is probably a little higher than necessary, but it seems to be consistent.

Edit to add detail: I have mentioned this a couple times, but an overview of what I did, and how you can do the same for under $50 is here:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6029639&postcount=40

Last edited:
I started reloading in a 600 sq ft, 2nd floor apartment. There is always enough room.
Indeed.
I spent a year having to put all of my reloading equipment and components away in a 14x16x18 inch box when I was done with it; and storing said box in an entertainment center. It would have gone on for longer if I hadn't moved.

I’m glad you could do it... but that isn’t how I roll. When I have the space to do it right, I’ll buy the equipment... not before.

I have a friend that has a reloading station set up in his living room for his shotgun shells (shoots trap). He isn’t married, isn’t redoing a majority of his home (which will also be going up on the market in the next few months), doesn’t have two dogs running around, and isn’t going into a career on the southern border (living in the NE). He can have lead/powder sitting on the dining room table for weeks at a time... I cannot.

It isn’t worth the time/energy to box it all up and move across the country. Nor is it worth the ammo saving to fit it in my life right now.

"Same here. It seems the Mosin isn't worth shooting the good ammo..." Not true all the time. They can be very accurate w/o too much trouble. The DIY accurizing kit & the Huber trigger has my 91/30 shooting extremely well. All mods I made are reversible. Privi ammo is not much more expensive than Wolf and shoots very accurately in my 91/30. Then you have excellent brass to reload too.

Back