7.62x54r reloading with Barnes tsx .311

You might try contacting Sierra directly. They bought Barnes in the Remington bankruptcy. As I'm sure you know, the Barnes website is no more. If it were me...well, I don't load any expensive bullets in the old Mosin.

The Barnes site and load data are up and functioning. I downloaded 7mm-08 data to test it.
I concur, no pricey bullets for century-old mil-surp. I got an Enfield around here somewhere. I am not about to buy 311 Barnes bullets for it. But for Barnes 308, I will stick to 7.62 and/or 300 WM. Buy a Savage Axis II XP. Hang the Moison on a wall and hope someone steals it.

What are you trying to accomplish? I assume you are trying to work up a hunting load for the gun? are you in a state that requires lead free projectiles?

Marco Califo..... be nice....
Hang the Moison on a wall and hope someone steals it.
is uncalled for..... You have been kinda passive aggressive in most of your posts, that I have seen, as of late.... you doin ok?

Last edited:
Barnes .310 data is for the 7.62x39 (AK-47) cartridge. They do not publish load data for the 7.62x54R. Most likely because they do not make a bullet for it.
Barnes copper bullets are significantly longer for the same weight. In turn, this requires attention to your rifle's barrel twist. 1900 era rifles fired relatively heavy bullets with mild twists. Much of Barnes load data specifies minimum twists of 1:9, 1:7, etc.

Based on some quick googling, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the Mosins generally have a 1:9.5 twist. With the possible exceptions of the Finish M28/30 which have a twist of 1:10....

If this is correct, the Barnes 150s should be stable.

Not sure if this will help. Its from my 2007 edition of the Lee manual. It is for 7.62x54R, with a 165g Barnes x bullet. I think that was before it was called the TSX.

The loads from this manual generally tend to run on the hotter side in my experience, as always use caution.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7.62x54r.jpg
    7.62x54r.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 10
  • lee.jpg
    lee.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 354
Back