7.62x54mmR drying up?

Model12Win

Hello everyone! I have been using ammoseek.com for a long time now in order to find deals on ammunition. Just last night, I went to the 7.62x54mmR listing and this ammo is now going for over $0.30 per round. Just a few weeks ago, it was just over $0.20 per round. That's a 50% increase in price in that amount of time.

I am wondering if anyone out there knows why this is happening. It appears that the last bastion of cheap military surplus ammo, the 7.62x54mmR round, is drying up. This is a shame as I've just got back into Mosin Nagants. Luckily, I've got 2500 rounds saved up but I am wanting to buy more if at all possible.

If you all are seeing 7.62x54mmR for cheaper anywhere, I'd like to know. I pray to God this ammo isn't drying up... what do you guys think?

There are trade sanctions against Russia going on right now, the biggest stockpiles of 54R can't make it into the United States.

I never noticed, but it looks like you are right. my big box still has several pallets full of spam cans for 119$. guess I better grab a couple this week. I still have a couple cans, but would like to have a couple thousand rounds at least. I do reload for it, but it costs way more than surplus ammo. the .311-.312 bullets are pricey, it uses a pound of 27-30$ powder per 175 rounds and the brass is a pain to find. I reload for accuracy, but still would like to have cheap surplus for folks to be able to have fun with a cheap gun.

if the ammo dries up I bet we'll see a lot of rifles for sale soon.

aim has some for 140$, get it while you can. even though that's 30$ more than usual, it'll seem like a steal if it really dries up
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...sian+7.62x54R+147grn+FMJ+440rd+Can&groupid=40

The supply has always been finite, like the Plains buffalo herds. Might want to try some Prvi Partisan ammo and save the brass.

Remember Romanian 8mm, UK 303 British, Hirschberger 308 Nato, South African 5.56, and Greek 30-06? It all disappeared into the gaping maw of the American gun market.

An outsider's perspective.....

If it were me, I would shun the military ammo as nearly useless in my world. Even if it weren't illegal to hunt with, it would still make lousy hunting ammo. I would only want brass-cased, soft-point hunting ammo. Even for targets, I want to use ammo I would hunt with. Try shooting water-filled milk jugs. With proper hunting ammo they explode, but military FMJ ammo just pokes leaky holes in them. If you are just shooting paper targets in competition, fine, but that surplus stuff is hardly match trade, neither is the Mosin. Again, just in my world, perhaps, but that cheap surplus ammo is completely irrelevant.

I've acquired a small stash of milsurp 8mm mauser, 7.62x39 , and x54R and I'm actually now starting to spend my extra dimes on brass and bullets. I reload so once the millsurp is depleated i'll still have brass that I can reload as a backup method of continued shooting.

Mosin-Marauder said:
Before you place any orders:

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/...-_-Custom+Link

Non Corrosive, a bit more accurate, and comes with an ammo can for about the same price of surplus.

Wolf will eventually dry up due to the sanctions as well, right now you can't find some Wolf primers for reloading at most big online sites. So until Putin backs down from the Ukraine the sanctions will be in place, in fact you might even see a slow down in Tula products eventually.

Last edited:
awhile coming

That grief has been incoming for awhile. Several years back, 5-6 I guess, maybe it was O'Bama's first term, I bought a PSL, and to get best accuracy out of that thing, had to load for it. Initially, brass was pretty common, and their were several reliable sources, some of it no more expensive than other calibers. But eventually, those dried up, and I went scrounging sources for cases and .311 slugs. Those dried up too.

I've moved on to other projects, and have not searched for more, but this was before the Ukraine thing.

Back