7.62x39mm gel test: Barnaul 125 gr JSP

Andrew Wiggin

Link to test video

7.62x39mm Barnaul 125 gr jacketed soft point fired from 16" barreled WASR-10/63 into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB calibration: 588.7 fps, 3.6"

Impact velocity: 2,523 fps
Penetration: 13.6"
Retained weight: 111.0 gr
Max expansion: 0.793"
Min expansion: 0.603"

A general comment to everyone out there.

Retained weight: any percentage or number given in any test is based on the STATED weight of the projectile. Very seldom have the authors weighed at least 10 pulled projectiles to give an average weight from a reasonable sample. The further you get from target grade projectiles, the farther you get from the STATED weight on average.

That's true, of course, but in tests like this, doing that would be kind of like measuring with a micrometer and cutting with an axe.

Not really. All to many people assume that the retained weight is baseed on a given weight. Absent pulling the test fired projectile and reseating it (which would introduce other variables) an average weight vs. stated weight has more significant meaning; especially when you move from target grade to fodder grade projectiles.

Given that Com Bloc ammo that is the subject here; STATED weight is the variable. I have two pulled samples of Tula.. one is 118.7 gr. one is 123.9 gr. Both from the same box.

I understand. What I mean is that the projectile sheds quite a bit of weight to be sure. This is definitely not match and it's not bonded. The actual projectile weight is likely to vary significantly from nominal. I also only fired one test shot. If I fired nine more, they would likely vary in penetration by a good inch or so and in retained weight by 5 or 10 grains. You're right about everything, it's just that this round is a blunt instrument and my test is not remotely comprehensive.

All the experimental artifacts (real or imagined) aside, that's a fun video to watch, and it musta been fun to make!

Back