7.62x39 for deer

bullfrog,

I've taken several types of game with my Mini 30 loaded with Cor-Bon's 150 gr. 7.62x39 soft-points. These are expensive but worth it as they are accurate and hit pretty hard. Cor-Bon claims 2300 fps.

Many people won't believe it but these shoot 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards in my Mini. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for any game up to about 400 lbs. within proper range with good shot placement, as always.

i plan on using my ak-47 for mule and whitetail deer this coming up season. I think I might use Federal soft points, but not sure. I know im a good enough shot with my ak to safely take shots up to about 110-120 yds using open sights. I think 7.62x39 is powerful enough for deer because it is very ballistically similar to the 30-30 cartridge. And we all know that many deer have been taken with 30-30's.

Not SO similar, perhaps. And the telling issue here, may be sights and trigger, not intrinsic accuracy (much like the NAA miniwheels: some of the most intrinsically accurate pistols ever: try getting match accuracy from one in practice).

Well, younggenius, if you can regularly hit beer cans at 100 yards, offhand, with your pet rifle, you can probably kill a deer with it. Your accuracy from a bench rest is meaningless, no matter how often you center-punch the target.

The fact remains that you pretty much need a very well placed shot in order to have a clean kill--and "clean kill" is the heart of the matter. The venerable lever-action thutty-thutty has probably killed more deer than any other gun/cartridge combination in North America, but it's probably responsible for more wounded and lost deer, as well.

Art

I use Winchester's 125 gr. PSP for deer. They provide a clean kill and are accurate enough for shots out to about 150 yards.

Back