7.62 X 39 ammo, what's available?

What different types of ammo are available in this caliber? What are the standard specs? Is Quik-shok available in this caliber? Where can I get ahold of tracer ammo?

From what I've seen, both ball and soft point. Can't say on tracer rounds, but be careful with them, fire hazard.

I thumbed through a few catalouges.

Winchester makes a 123gr JSP,
S&B makes a 123gr JSP,
Wolf ammo imports Russian made 122gr JHP,
Corbon makes a 150gr JSP and a 125gr Tactical JHP.

I still have not found a sorce for surplus ball ammo or tracers.

BTW, I understand that the US military did have this round manufactured for them durring the Vietnam war for use in captured weapons. Are they still procuring it?

As I recall, Lake City made a run of 7.62x39 during the Viet Nam War. I doubt that they are still rolling that caliber, but not certain.

As for the ball ammunition you seek, try Shotgun News of similar publications. Once again, re tracer rounds, they might be "problematic". I believe that a bunch of ball had come in fromn Russia and China, however that may well have since been sold.

Russian manufactured ammo is cheap and plentiful. You can get 1000 rnds. of either JHP or FMJ for $89.00. This stuff uses steel cases and copper gilded steel jackets.
Standard specs are a 123gr. bullet at 2400 fps..
You can get South African surplus military ammo. Brass case and copper FMJ bullet. I'm not sure how much it costs but it's usually under $150 for 1000rnds.
It's not reloadable.
S&B makes FMJ and SP ammo for around $110 a thousand.
You can still get Norinco (Chinese) FMJ ammo pretty cheap. Norinco steel core is hard to come by and is expensive.
German surplus FMJ (steel case) is available but reported to be mildly corrosive.
There is a new brand being marketed called Cheetah. I think it is made in Zimbabwe and is manufactured on old Chinese machinery. It is brass cased and copper jacketed and is reported to be pretty good stuff.
Remington, Winchester and Federal all make it and it is the quality that you would expect from these companies but it is much more expensive than the previously listed ammo.
Cor Bon makes a frangible, defensive round. It uses a Speer 125gr. JHP (TNT) in a Lapua case. Expensive but effective at short range.
I've shot most of this stuff.(except Cheetah) None of it has given me any problems. The German ammo has actually proven the most accurate for me. (2moa from a scoped SA93) As long as you clean your gun properly it's mildly corrosive properties are of no concern.
I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds of the Russian stuff. It's not the most consistant ammo for accuracy purposes but it does ok (3-4moa) and always goes bang. And it's cheap!!!!! Good or blasting.
Happy shooting!
PS Check out Shotgun News for availability of all of this ammo and for tracers. Tracers are usually expensive and are not as readily available as this other stuff but if it's available it's in Shotgun News.
Also check out www.ak-47.net

[This message has been edited by Jaeger (edited February 09, 2000).]

" ball ammo " is everywhere for the 762x39.
I'm not going to get into a political disscussion about "loopholes" in the import system,but I will tell to to buy a box of that WOLF hp. ammo that you mentioned.Most of that Russian HP ammo is nothing more than FMJ with a hole drilled in it!Try it and you will see what I mean. Many of you have have seen The Russian HP's that say right on the box" made to hunting specs." Ever wonder why that is on there? I have seen true ball ammo in the Shotgun News, but the "hunting ammo" is the same thing!Buy the cheap stuff and blast away! They'll make more!!!
( the only way Russian HP,s expand is if you are shooting steel targets!)
By the way,
You'll be able to see those tracers! just follow the fires!!!
CALVIN
" IM THE NRA! "

Back