7.62 Tokarev conversion for AK rifles?

Justin

Ok, this may just be somewhat of a goofy idea, but I think it could be interesting.
Would it be possible to create some sort of insert for the AK/MAK family of rifles allowing it to fire the 7.62x25 mm Tokarev round?

Now, I realize that the Tokarev round is actually 7.6<B>3</B> mm, but would that make a difference in a rifle with tolerances as loose as the AK?

It seems to me that all one might need would be some sort of insert to compensate for the differences in case length, 7.62x25mm vs. 7.62x39mm.

Ok, I hand this over to those of you more experienced in the mechanical workings of this sort of thing. Would this make a neat weekend project, or is something like this totally unworkable?

The bullet diameters are essentially the same. The Soviets in WWII made SMG barrels from 1891 barrels worn out at the throat and muzzle.

I doubt, though, that there is enough gas in the 7.62x25 to operate the AK mechanism in the normal manner. Further, the bolt would have to be changed to work with the smaller case head, and the magazine would have to be different. The obvious question would be, other than a neat idea, why? The AK was designed in part to replace low powered SMG's, so there would be little point in bringing it back to that level.

Could an adapter be made to let the pistol/SMG round be fired in an 7.62x39 rifle single shot? Sure, by anyone with a lathe and a 7.62x25 chambering reamer.

Jim

The main reason for doing something like this would be to simply put together what could essentially be a nice companion piece to the PPSH, TT-33, or CZ-52. I don't know that there would be any other real advantages from doing it, other than maybe the increased velocity from firing the round out of a longer barrel. I don't know if this would also result in increased accuracy.
I don't claim to know anything about gunsmithing, nor about small arms design, this was simply an idea that struck me as being kind of neat. :cool: Of course, that is not really an effective sort of justification for a design like this.

As I said, I guess something like this could be done, probably by converting the AK to blowback operation and making a whole new barrel, bolt system, and magazine. In other words, by designing a new rifle. Since you say you would not be doing the work yourself, I guess it would be a matter of how much you want to spend on something that is "kind of neat". Since the thing would be a hand-made, design as you go, one-off, I would guess around five grand and a couple of months of work.

My guesstimate may be all wet, and since this is George's forum, maybe he will chip in with his ideas of what would be involved.

Jim

S.O.G sells a Russian SR41, semi-auto PPSH 7.62x25,comes with one 35 rd mag,price is $619 wholesale.BATF approved.
longer barrel and can't convert to select fire,you'd get your velocity and looks pretty cool. your conversion would be wrecking a AK,if you had a brake press and welding stuff
plus some milling equipment, it might be possible.the only way I could see the 7.62x25 firing is from a open bolt,or
a locked AK system,you could shorten recoil spring, mill a
new bolt face, and rechamber a blank barrel to 7.62x25,plus
weld a mag well in for what mag? the ppsh mag of course.
S.O.G. has a web site now, suprised me! http://www.southernohiogun.com

Ok, sounds to me like this would take a <b>lot</b> more work than I thought it would. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about gunsmithing, so I figured I'd toss the idea out there to see if it could easily be done. Sounds like the answer is no, unless a lot of money was spent on it.
Oh well.
But thanks for the help!

Back