7.62 tokarev adapters?

tahunua001

hello all.
a while back my brother bought couple cans of loose 7.62 tokarev with the sole intention of buying a contender barrel and having an incredibly cheap to shoot rifle. well after buying said ammo, he found out that a contender barrel would cost around $800 and the price of tokarev tripled while the supply dwindled to nothing over the course of 6 months. with his dreams of a super cheap(non rimfire) plinker gun ruined his ammo has just sat in his safe. I have come across this and was just wondering if anyone had ever used one? basically it operates on the same principle as a "popgun" where you place a larger shell around an existing case to allow it to fit in a larger chamber. I've never seen one for cased ammunition but I have seen one for 45-70 where you drill the primer out of an empty casing and place a 22lr blank and then hand load a 45 cal round ball into the casing and fire. it sounds like shooting a cap gun but it demolishes squirrels.

just curious if anyone has used these and if they are particularly prone to failures?

it's available for both 303 brit and 7.62x54r

I bought some in various chamberings from a company called, Alex, Inc-I think they're no longer in business. Fired 32 ACP out of my MAS M1936 and Ge 98 Mauser rifle. They were a lot of fun.

Considering that the Tokarev bullets are nominal .307 with a hard jacket and .303 Brit and 7.62x54 bores are closer to .312-.313 added to the long jump from case neck to rifling, the accuracy potential is poor.
Might still be worthwhile for using up the ammo already on hand.

the reloading manuals I've read place the 303 as a nominal 310 and 54r as nominal 311-312 depending on batches of rifles. tok which depending on country of manufacture can fluctuate between 308 and 310 so a difference of .001 is probably not going to cause that much problem. since the x25 is also going to be traveling at about 1000 FPS slower than standard loads I doubt the rifling will suffer to great degree...and just out of curiosity what long jump? the tube just acts as an extension of the chamber so it should still stabilize the bullet all the way to the end of the chamber where the rifling normally grabs the bullet, there should always be surface contact with the projectile. at least that's the way I see the process going over in my mind... then again I'm kindof a simpleton so maybe I'm just missing something.

My copy of "Cartridges of the World" lists the 7.62x25 Tok as a bullet diameter of .307". The actual diameter of the bullets in your particular lot of ammo is unknown. The actual diameter of the bore of the rifle you obtain is also unknown but would be expected to be somewhat above the minimum. That leaves a difference of unknown dimension. Depending on the depth of the lands/grooves, there might be enough interference to spin the bullet.
Most of the adaptors I've seen held the smaller round against the boltface allowing the rifle's firing pin to strike the primer(this is versus an adaptor that holds the smaller round in the chamber neck and uses a plunger driven by the rifle's firing pin to strike the smaller case's primer). If the smaller case(25mm long) is held against the rifle's boltface that results in about 29mm(54-25=29) of freebore or bullet jump before it reaches the rifling. Even with a snug fit in the adaptor, there is much more wiggle room than would be in a cartridge case neck.
The undersized bullet strikes the beginning of the rifling(leade) after this 29mm of acceleration and skids an unknown distance before even beginning to follow the grooves or maybe just continues to skid down the bore. It's possible the bullet base may bump up somewhat to fill the bore like a minie ball.
None of these factors is conducive to any sort of accuracy. I'm just stating facts.

Back