7.62 NATO ammo without powder?

Bart B.

What happens when loaded then fired?

The ammo was new M118 case and primer and a Sierra 190 HPMK seated.

Last edited:
Guess I don't get the question. Sounds like a 7.62 round with no powder in it? If there a primer I suspect there will be a bullet stuck in the barrel!

You wouldn't think it has the power, but it does. I loaded a squib in .303 British once; put the 150gn bullet into the rifling. The danger condition is that it puts it far enough out that a bolt gun has room to feed the next round in behind it without the nose of the new bullet hitting the base of the old and warning you. An autoloader will, of course, not cycle on a load like that... but again, problems arise if the bullet got far enough out to let the next round chamber completely.

The danger is the guy with the tactical boxer shorts on who does his high speed immediate action drill without asking the question "What just happened?"
And verifying the bore is clear before the next round is chambered.

Ok, Ill bite.
What does happen when you fire a powderless 7.62X51?

Better be a punch line to this silly question because the answer I would assume is the same for any squib regardless of cal. Are you fishing for some Varget or 4064? Might be able to help out if that is the empty case.

The 20 some loads I shot in a 7.62 NATO Garand were inter mixed with regular ammo. Happened in a 1000 yard match shooting 20 record shots. A ball and dummy exercise caused by the military unit not verifying all the primed cases having 44 grains of IMR4320 powder before seating bullets.

No bullets left the case neck. Pulled bullets from several revealing primer soot all over. Bullet pull force was about 5 pounds so about 65 psi in the case was needed to push the bullet out.

All of the team members were surprised by what did and didn't happen.

Last edited:
Back