7.62 Nagant Reloading

kraigwy

I just ordered one of the Nagant revolvers (gonna play at Multi Gun with my 91/30 Mosin).

I want to reload for it, I understand that you can use Lee 7.62 Nagant dies to reload using 32-20 brass.

I also heard that 4 grs of unique works on 308 100 grns bullets? I'd rather cast bullets.

Anybody have any better ideals?

I started trying to form .223 brass into Nagant brass using Lee .30 Carbine dies, but I gave up temporarily until I can set up some kind of makeshift lathe to thin down the case webs. Got too many other projects to focus on this one.

I have a box of old .32 ACP cartridges. Going to try shooting those (in the original Nagant cylinder.) They should fit, although accuracy might be horrible.

ill have to look at my load data when i get home. i has having issues with my lee dies not sizing my brass down enough to give me any neck tension. i had better luck with useing nagant brass in the lee dies
with 90 gr xtp bullets

If you decide to stay with 32 S&W you should be fine. Fired many 32 S&W longs through mine and the brass is fine. So far, I have reloaded them 3 times and inspected the cases carefully for any cracks. You will get some case bulge (just ahead of the rim) if you fire 32mag through it.

Couldnt find any 32-20 brass so I orderd some Fiocchi loaded rounds.

I've heard they are iffy in the accuracy department but the brass is suppose to be reloadable. I have a mold and Lee Dies coming.

I'm thinking to save the brass, I would use a 30 Cal Carbine taper crimp die to get a light crimp.

In theory this should work but I guess I wont know for sure until I try it.

Nothing else, it will give me another project to keep me off the streets.

Couldnt find any 32-20 brass so I orderd some Fiocchi loaded rounds.

I've heard they are iffy in the accuracy department but the brass is suppose to be reloadable. I have a mold and Lee Dies coming.

Fiocchi shoots nice. Heres my technique for loading the brass

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259156&highlight=nagant+reloading

I now use 3 grains of unique and berrys wadcutters. Trim legnth depends on your revolver. Lube is your friend.

WildshootstopoaAlaska ™©2002-2011

Thanks a lot WA! I remember reading through that thread before and my eye and neck spasms have started up again. What a tedious process for a cap gun (but I love my Nagant).

Good info WA.

Sounds like this gun is gonna be more fun to load for then shoot. Can't wait to see how much brass I screw up in the process.

I did find 100 pieces of 32-20 brass. Gonna stick them in the lathe and turn the rims to .050 from .065 so I'll be ready for my Lee dies.

The Lee dies arn't carbide but it looks like I can use my M1 Carine carbide die to get started.

This is gonna be interesting.

Last edited:
That gun can be made to shoot well with just a little work.

I've a 1941 mfg'd Tula that'l give me ragged one hole groups at about ten yards.........surprisingly at about five it's remarkably effective in DA.........even tho that action'l wear a blister on your trigger finger!

My dies are Lee's.......modified solely by the addition of a plastic plug under the seating stem which has been relieved to permit it to seat the bullet completely into the case to mimic the factory stuff. My load is 3.5 grains of Bullseye, bullet a Lee 100 gr. hard cast & sized .308 in my Lyman lube/sizer with Javelina brand alox.

Bullet is seated approximately 1/4" into the case & then crimped quite hard to visually duplicate the original.

Brass is Graf's starline stuff........works great............I'd suggest you stay away from the Bartram stuff as I've found it to be so hard that it'd split on the FIRST sizing attempt......waste of money in my book!.....anyway the Starline brass works well..........size the case only to the depth you require to both seat the case in your cylinder and to hold the bullet.

As an aside, I dribble some of Lee's alox lube into the case mouth.....don't know if it really helps much but I don't get any leading & my gun's bore is far from pristine.

Hope this helps.............by the way, the .32-20 stuff will work, but I've found that to use it reliably I have had to thin the rim on my mini lath. Your's might not require that, but I'd check it out first.

Further (gettin' old & forget to include stuff, I guess), I oughtta mention that the Starline batch I bought was about 50M too short & therefore you lose the gas seal feature if that matters......Bartrams' junk IS the right length....BUT.........

My shooting buddy and I reload for our Nagants using .32-20 brass. I use Red Dot primarily for my powder, but am starting to try others. Load data is limited though.
Since the .32-20 cases are too short, I don't worry about trying to seat the bullets into them deeply - I just seat so they clear the cylinder front. I may lose a tiny few FPS, but that's okay. Our loads chrony at 750FPS average - plenty good fpr plinking, and the brass will last forever. My fifty cases were from an old box of Remington .32-20 I found in a little local tackle shop. Then I ordered more from Midway. Some guys say the rims can be a bit too thick for their Nagants to function but we haven't had any trouble.
Using soft-cast lead bullets, the Nagant is great fun with steel swinger targets. We pretty well decimate the local herds of roving soda cans too..... ;)
This is probably one of the best revolvers for just plain FUN shooting, and by reloading it's fairly cheap! A logical step up from .22 rimfire.

I tried, but buying ammo seemed to be the best option... destroyed too many cases and sold dies

also... they make the conversion cylinder to 32 auto

Back