7.5mm French ammo

twhidd

I just purchased a mixed box of reloading components. Included in the box was about 100 rounds of some old surplus 7.5x54 French ammo. Is there any value in this old stuff?

That stuff is fairly hard to come by, since the rifles using it aren't too common and it hasn't been made in a while, so it should worth a good deal more than the "average" .30cal milsurp rounds out there. The trick is finding someone with a MAS49/56 to shoot it in;). I'd check out Gunbroker to see what the going rate is up to these days:)

TCB

A lot of surplus French 7.5 has come on the market recently and prices are not that high. Check Gunbroker. I bought a few hundred rounds that was like nex for .50 a round.

Not much value in French milsurp ammo at all, for either the collector or shooter. It is very common stuff in the collector world, and non-corrosive reloadable Prvi Partizan/FNM ammo is still around in shooter quantity.

^^^Learn sumpin new every day...I'm reconsidering that MAS as I speak :)
When did new ammo turn up? That's always been the primary criticism of the excellent French service rifles.

TCB

barnbwt said:
The trick is finding someone with a MAS49/56 to shoot it in.
Actually, most of us 49/56 owners will pass up the corrosive stuff because the gas system on these rifles is such a PITA to clean, particularly the cutoff valve. We do, however shoot the corrosive stuff in our Model 36s. They are much easier to clean.

Valuable? Not particularly, since Prvi started manufacturing the good stuff. You have to watch for the Syrian ammo, too. It is about as reliable as Paki 303 ammo.

Concur with post #3. I still see the stuff around at reasonable prices.
Boxer reloadable brass for this number may be worth something. Like one other poster said, Prvi offers both brass and loaded ammo.
I have been reloading this number for a while now for my MAS 36. I obtain remarkable groups with 150g bullets and IMR 3031

Back