686+ vs gp-100 cyl length

bullfrog99

durability and strength wise i suspect that these two L frame sized guns are about equal, if i'm wrong, correct me. my main question pertains to cylinder length. i would like to load long heavy cast lead bullets in my future 357 and i was wondering which revolver has a longer cylinder, the smith or the ruger.

A lot of us suspect the GP100 is the stronger gun. Lockup at the crane is one issue, plus the locking lug is offset between each cylinder, unusual in a six-gun.

If I was going to shoot heavy hunting loads, I'd buy a blue GP100.

Dunno about cylinder length.

Jim

My GP100 will handle loads with an OAL of 1.660-1.674 depending on the thickness of the base of the brass. That puts the bullet right to the end of the cylinder.

This is just barely long enough to handle the long ~170is grain Keith LSWC bullets if you trim the cases to the min length spec.

Sorry, I don't know if they'll fit in the 686. But at least you have an idea of what will fit in the GP100.

might just as well throw this in, what's the cylinder length on the old 357 magnum redhawk and smith n frame six shot(forgot the number, 27 i beleive... ) thanks for the gp-100 length john k

There are a couple on the board here who have the 357 Redhawk, I'm sure they could tell you the cylinder length/max OAL cartridge length they will take.

I've been told by a friend on another board that the S&W M27 has a farily short cylinder, shorter than the GP100. In fact the S&W M19 has a longer cylinder than either the 27 or the GP100. Maybe the 686 shares this long cylinder.

Back