686 target grips confusion...

TestedTwice

So I just purchased a 6-inch 686 revolver, and am REALLY confused. I purchased these grips for the gun from MidwayUSA....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...quare-butt-checkered-hardwood-with-medallions

Now, it says that it's square butt, but it specifically lists the 686 in the list of guns it fits. I know the 686 is a round butt. I thought that maybe this was a set to convert the 686 to a square butt, but the website also specifically lists a different set of round-to-square grips. In the reviews for the set I linked to above, there's a guy that says it fit his round butt 686, but also a guy that says it fit his model 15 as well. There's also someone that says it does NOT fit his no-dash 686, so I am very confused. Does anybody have any idea if these grips will fit my new 686??

Is it a Square But gun or a round But? The linked grips are for a Square but gun they will NOT fit a round but. You want either round but grips or round but to square conversion grips.

If you are not sure if your gun is a round but or a square but look here:

squareround_zpsc25c3d5d.jpg

The one on the right is round the one on the left is square.

There are no grips that fit both.

Now, it says that it's square butt, but it specifically lists the 686 in the list of guns it fits. I know the 686 is a round butt.

Early 686's were square butt, current 686's are round butt. Looks like you bought the wrong grips. Just return them to Midway for the correct ones.

As Dragline45 indicated, 686s can be either. S&W switched from square to round butt in the mid90s (during the 686-4 run, AFAIK). If you bought a new 686, then, it's got a round butt.

BTW, I don't know if you're planning on a set of round butt grips or some round-to-square "conversion" grips. Many feel the round butt grips are easier to conceal, but aren't as good as square/conversion grips for actual shooting. My own experience bears this out, and all my serious shooters wear conversion grips. YMMV of course. ;)

I've seen a lot of reviews that had inaccurate information. With two similar products it would be easy for somebody who purchased one to come back and post under the wrong product. I don't trust the reviews a whole lot when it comes to stuff like that.

The guys above are steering you in the right direction.

It looks like those are wrap around grips, and neither the front strap nor the back strap are exposed, so therefore.......

Well, I believe that you can actually use those square butt grips on your round butt frame.

Look at the pin location relative to the mainspring. It is in exactly the same distance. The round butt K,L frame will fit into the larger square butt inlaying, and the pin hole will hold it in place. Then just cut some wood spacers to take up the space. If it was me, I could easily do this in 15 minutes and have those nice grips mounted on my round butt frame!

The grips definitely didn't fit my gun. I sent them back and picked up a set of Hogue conversion grips. I much prefer the feel of a square butt over a round one. Anybody have any idea how durable the bottom back of the conversion grips will be while on the gun? It looks like it will just be a corner of wood without the added strength of the frame.

BTW, I don't know if you're planning on a set of round butt grips or some round-to-square "conversion" grips. Many feel the round butt grips are easier to conceal, but aren't as good as square/conversion grips for actual shooting. My own experience bears this out, and all my serious shooters wear conversion grips. YMMV of course.

Plus 1 on the above.

tipoc

Back