686 purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleye

Interested in buying a S&W 686. Need pros and cons on this and a reasonable price.Would appreciate any input.

eagleye,

First of all, welcome to The Firing Line. Questions like yours are always welcome as many of us learn from the answers as well.

I was considering a 686 or a GP100 for a time and decided on the Ruger, but it was a tough choice. Both are quality guns for a reasonable price. I would like to hear other people's opinions on this subject as well.

One other thing eagleye, this should have been posted to the Handguns Forum, not General. Some eagle-eyed moderator will probably move it over there for you.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Thanks for the input Bluesman. I'll do better next time . this is new to me you will have to give me some time to learn.

------------------
You can't take it with you.

Eagleye,

I purchased a .357 recently and also looked at both choices. It came down to what was I going to do with the thing?

If you want something built so a tank could run over it and still work, get the Ruger. If you want something that functions with more "style" and smoother action, get the S&W.

For myself, I wanted it to learn how to shoot double action so I elected to get the 686+. The trigger was definitely better in the 686. I have not regretted this decision but I doubt you can go wrong. Both are reliable well built revolvers.

James

Eagleye,
(Cool name!) WELCOME!

I don't know if I'm so "eagle-eyed" :D but I do think you might get a better response over on the "Handguns & Pistolcraft" Forum.

So, I'll move y'all over there! Hang on now! (This won't hurt a bit...)

I`ve had a 686 for six months now, and it`s one of the nicest handguns I`ve shot. Recoil, even with Magnums isn`t as bad as you`d think. The trigger is very smooth. I can hardly imagine what it would be like if it`s out of the performance center.

If you have a chance to borrow or rent one, give it a shot(pun intended). I paid $400 for mine. This is a good piece of hardware.

Rugers can absorb a lot more abuse and neglect than any other revolver. Personally, I like Rugers but that has never stopped me from buy a S&W or my Pythons (yes, I have a 4" and a 6").

But I take it that you're a private citizen who will be purchasing it from your own funds. The issue of which gun takes more abuse has to be taken into context that within law enforcement, many cops don't care about their guns. It's a tool. A department has to find something that works and can take abuse. Since the gun will be your own, the amount of care it will receive will be much greater. So, if you choose S&W, be sure to periodically check to see that the grip screws and exposed screws for the sideplate and thumbpiece are tight. If you shoot it a lot, take it in to have the internals cleaned and inspected once a year. You'll have no problems with the S&W (or virtually any other well cared for revolver). Besides, a 7 shot revolver sure is tempting and I would consider that unique quality too.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

the 686 is a great revolver. I've owned a couple of them. Price in my area (Wisconsin) is about $415 for a new one. While the out of the box action is good a decent gunsmith can really make it dance. While I think the Ruger is a good product too, for my use I prefer the Smith. I shoot moderate loads in mine but if I was going to pound it hard I would probably go for a Ruger.

About a year ago I wanted to buy a new 357 to give my model 27 a rest so I looked in to the Ruger blued in the 4in barrel and the S&W stainless 686 in the 6in barrel. After a comparison I decided on the Smith, the fit and finish was so much nicer, the action was wonderful so thats the one I got. Cost to me $400.00

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

I owned the 586 (blued version)a few years back and was happy with it. Reliable, accurate, never any problems. Good revolver.

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back