686 Pro: dumbest moon clip question ever?

wild cat mccane

Hey there,

I have a 686 Plus Pro in my cart. But I have a super dumb question. The 686 Pro is cut for moon clips (comes with one).

haha..go gentle on me...

Does the extractor extract like normal without using moon clips or are moon clips required for the extractor to extract?

Thank you!

What caliber is the 686-if a moon clip is needed the empties will not extract without the clip.
I have a 610 that is 10MM and the round will sit in the chamber and fire fine without the moon clip but not extract due to the round being a rebated rim-they kinda fall out if your lucky.

Yes you can load .38/.357 no issue moon’s or not and they will shoot and eject as normal.

Me, personally, I prefer a moon clip loaded for faster more positive ejection but prefer loading the longer cartridges (like a reload after the first clipped bunch is ejected) with a speed loader.

Longer cartridges ala .357/.38 can be a little finicky to load with a moon clip in my experience.

Agree with cslinger.
Clip loading long skinny wobbly .38s is not as easy as short chunky .45s.

USPSA Revolver shooters are loading .38 Short Colt.

What caliber is the 686-if a moon clip is needed the empties will not extract without the clip.
Incorrect. Rimed cartridges as in 38 spl will extract with or without moon clips.
That is one of the beautiful things about 38 spl.
I have 2 Ruger revolvers that the cylinders are cut for moon clips. I can shoot loose rounds, speed loader rounds and moon clip rounds and all extract the same way. The rim on the case is what the extractor will use to extract the case

My first attempt at clipped .38s, I let a gunsmith talk me into facing off the cylinder flat, rendering it clip only. He assured me that was what the "serious shooters" did.
It was a 686 + and when I found how useless that was, I paid S&W to convert it to a normal sixshooter.

Back