686 mountain pistol ?

Gunzo

I read about this model approx. 2 years ago & have yet to lay eyes on one. Been to a dozen or so big gun shows, watched the gunlist, web, etc. Were they never cataloged, or discontinued or what? If I find one what can I expect to pay? So far I've had to settle for a new M66 4" (which wasn't a bad thing) but I still think about the 7 holes and the slim barrel!

P.S. I'm new to this sight, so a big HELLO to all, and am glad to see that so many still are as fond of revolvers as myself!

i've never seen one in person either, people say they handle like a 66, sounds like a nice gun, wouldn't mind having one but I think i'm going to get one of it's bigger brothers instead.

I believe that the gun was only produced once and distributed to stocking dealers only in very limited numbers. Only products comparable is the new Scandium Mountain lite, which also has the seven shot cylinder and tapered Mt barrel. Or, if you have your heart set on a stainless, Cylinder & Slide makes the conversion. Calls the gun "Master Blaster". It was based on an existing Mt gun, but they will make one from any seven shot L frame.

http://cylinder-slide.com/Masterblaster.htm

http://www.smith-wesson.com/misc/airlitesc/m386.html

Gabriel

Hi Gunzo. I share your interest in this revolver. I saw three chambered in .44 Mag, .45 LC, and I think .45 ACP at a gunshow in Springfield, IL a week or two ago. I also found a few at: http://www.gunsamerica.com under Pistols and "&" revolvers.

Take Care,
Rhyno :p

My best friend has one chambered in .357 mag.

Love that pistol and am trying to get gim to sell it to me. A real sweet shooter and I like the idea of 7 shots instead of 6.

I had one for a short time. A seven shot, L-frame, taper barrel, Mountain Gun. It shot very accurately and had a good trigger as it came from the factory.

I shoot IDPA and the seven shooters can only be loaded with six shots anyway. I never felt like it handled like a K-frame and I shoot thousands of rounds a year through my 13, 19, and 66.

During casual shooting sessions I found myself firing six rounds and dumping the empties and one live round on the ground a lot.
(Something about old dogs and new tricks).

I sold it to the same collector that bought my 625 acp Mountain Gun.

They do seem to be like hen's teeth!

I've seen only two. One at a show(before I really knew what a sweeeeeet piece it is), and the other recently in the safe of my gunsmith.:( The last time I saw one available for sale, its owner felt it was worth a whole lot more than I did. So, I'll keep searching for a used one at the shows.:)

The first time that I saw one new for sale I snatched it right up. $395!

I love it, I have run thousands of rounds through it. Acuurate and light enough to carry camping and hunting. I have only shot prairie dogs with mine. It would even make a good CCW piece or the ultimate service revolver.

Hello All,
There's a 686 Mountain Gun on Guns America right now. It's described as 99.5% LNIB. The seller is asking $425. The item # is

Randy

Back