686 Crack????

N2GUNZ

I have a S&W 686 that I bought in 1993. I bought it as a home defense weapon and it has been fired very few times (70 to be exact). My interest in guns have increased and I am buying more and doing a lot more shooting. I took this gun to the range today and a friend of mine brought to my attention a crack in the frame by the hammer. I remember this being there when I purchased the gun new but I thought it was part of the mold (I knew nothing about guns back then). As I am looking at the back of the gun it is on the left side. Is this normal? It looks like it could be part of the mold but it also looks like it could be a crack. I would appreciate anybody that has an older 686 to look at their gun and see if theirs has seam in it.

Smith frames aren't "molded", they're machined. And no, there shouldn't be a crack at the rear of the frame by the hammer. There are two lines on the RIGHT side of the gun by the hammer, which are actually the edges of the frame and the sideplate, but there shouldn't be anything on the left side (as you look at the hammer from the rear). This is not a load bearing area and shouldn't be dangerous, but it shouldn't be there either.

N2Gunz...

I just took a look at the back (left side of frame next to hammer) of my 1991 vintage 686. There is no crack there. Only thing you can see is on the right side where the side plate mates with the frame.

You might want to have a pistolsmith take a look...

Good luck!
Mike

OK! My mistake. I guess I had a temporary brain lapse. The line/crack that I see is on the right side as I am looking at the hammer. It just seems to be a little more noticeable than it used to be.

If you look just above the trigger and just behind the trigger on the right side you will see two the screws that hold the side plate on.
The side plate is what you're seeing.

forget it.. what you are seeing is where the side plate meets the fram..any way.. have a pro gunsmith look at it .. please tell me if you did that and what was the result?

Back