686+ Barrel Length and Weight/Balance

Gary H

I purchased an SP-101 for my wife, but she prefers my 6" 686+ for the much superior trigger. Both the SP-101 and the 686+ have lower rated springs installed. She can't pull the factory triggers. Haven't had primer problems so far.

So, Amy much prefers the S&W trigger and shoots much better with the S&W, but it is overly heavy and front shifted balance. For those who have shot the 686 6", 4" and 21/2", how much does this weight balance issue change with shortening of the barrel? Secondly, would you suggest a Weigand multi-barrel modification, or just buying a second gun?

I used a 2½" 686 for a while and it was quite handy and accurate out to 60yds. I don't like full lug barrels either in the longer ones.

Sam

Gary, I have a 686 that has the switch barrel system by Weigand Combat. My 686 used to have a 4 inch factory barrel with full lug before Weigand's conversion. I had Weigand put a 6 inch barrel on the 686. As far as I can tell without actually weighing a 4 inch 686 and my Weigand barreled 686 6 inch, the Weigand 6 inch is lighter on the muzzle end than the standard factory 686 4 inch with full lug. The reason I had mine converted to a 6 inch barrel is because of sight radius. My 686 was not bought to be a concealed carry gun. I bought it for home protection, plinking, and target shooting. My sons and I have a blast shooting the Weigand conversion. We usually shoot Geogia Arms 148 wadcutters, but every now and then I will let some Remington HP's rip down the tube. You might want to email Weigand about the weight issue. He usually replies fast and is most helpful. If you decide to have Weigand modify your gun to the switch barrel system, then I would recommend having Weigand bead blast the entire 686 frame because it would blend better with the switch barrel. The last time I checked with Weigand, the price for bead blasting entire frame was $75. I did not have mine bead blasted, but it still looks good and unique. Sling Shot

I have a 686 (6") and a model 66 (4") and the difference is about 7 ounces off the end. Accuracy out to 20 yards is virtually identical.

The 2.5 inch 686 Plus is very handy and surprisingly nice to shoot, even with 125 grain loads. I've got a 6-inch 586 and frankly I think I like the little one more.

MK11:

My wife is very small..4'9". Do you think that the muzzle flip from such a short barrel would be a bit excessive?

I have a 4" 686 and think the balance is great. I also own a 2 1/4' SP101, which also has a great feel to it. Both have Hogue grips; wood on the SP101 and rubber on the 686.

You/she is right about the triggers. A 10# Wolff hammer spring, 400 rounds of mostly .38 special and a few hundred dry fires have improved the SP101 double action noticably, but it is nowhere near the stock 686 in smoothness.

Gary H: Sorry for getting back to you late. I was going to say she might find the weight more of a problem than the muzzle flip but I read that she handles the 6-inch fine. You could load it with .38s, 7 rounds of +P 156 grainers would ruin somebody's day.

The 6" full lugged barrel on my S&W 686-5 helps
to tame recoil using the hotest of loads. Most of
the time I use it for long range work; at distance's
exceeding 100 yards. For all day CCW purposes, I
think I would rather have a 2.5" S&W model 66.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back