686-6?

Tim Whittaker

I was looking over the approved California gun list (I don't know why, I live on the Free East Coast:) ) but I saw the S&W 686-6 on the list and not the 686-5. Does anyone know what the -6 upgrades were? Or is it the new ones with the integral locks? Not looking to buy, just curious. Take Care.......Whit

Not necessarily...California law does not put the gun on the approved list for possessing an internal locking device. To get on the "list" it must pass a drop test. Rugers and other firearms on the list do not contain a locking device and are approved for sale in the state.

What they are refering to on the list is the barrel length approved for sale. Each length must be drop tested before its approved. Right now the only 617 approved for sale in the state is the 4 inch barrel model, or the 617-4.

Bob

Bobshouse,

the dash designation in *&* model numbers does not designate the barrel length, but rather the production revision of the revolver. Think of it like a software version...a 686-4 being the 4.0 version, for example. :)

Back