686-3 vs. 686-5

rock_jock

Can anyone tell me the major differences between these two models? I currently have a 4" 686-5 and am contemplating buying a 686-3. I understand that the -3 model has a hammer-mounted firing pin - is this correct? If so, are there any problems that can be expected with this configuration? How about strength? I am guessing no change there given they are both built on a (K or L?) Frame. Finally, does anyone have a 2.5" version of the 686-3 and how do you like it?

686-3 Engineering changes - 1988 new yoke retention system
1990 2 1/2" bbl introduced.
Don't know what changes were made at the -5. Would have occurred after 1995.

The L Frame was introduced to give both the shooter and the K frames that were chambered in 357 a break. K frames could shoot loose after a steady diet of 357's. Hammer mounted firing pins can break. I have never seen one. Any 2 1/2 inch 357 is going to be a handfull. HTH

I have a 686-3 in 2.5" as well as a 686-nought in 6". That 2.5" gun is a sweet piece of hardware. It's very accurate, has a great DA trigger, and shoots very comfortable. The only drawbacks are the short ejector rod, which is not full-length thanks to the short underbarrel shroud, and the noise and thunder at the range...if you want to consider that a drawback. That 686-3 is the loudest handgun I own; when shooting full-power Magnum loads it sounds like the main guns on the battleship Missouri. Those basketball-sized fireballs out of the short tube illuminate the entire range.

I put a Hogue hardwood monogrip on it, and it gets toted a lot lately. It's a very nice and attractive blend of compact size, good looks and power.

sw686-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back