686 2.5" ... oh yeah!!!

shurshot

Pulled the trigger on a new 686 (Gunbroker), a six shooter, I don't see them (6 shot, 2.5"), listed on S&W's site anymore.
Been wanting one for awhile now... a couple decades in fact. 3" is pretty nice, but in my eyes, the 2.5" holding SIX shots is PERFECT. ;)

Nothing like a .357 Magnum snubby, especially in SS! Sold off two SS 66 Combat Magnums in the 90's and always regretted it.

I try to keep the good ones now. My beautiful deep blue model 19 S&W Nixon era Combat Magnum was lonely, as is my late 80's vintage 586 no lock 4". Nothing like a S&W.

So the new 686 snubby is being adopted, will get some nice new checkered wood boot grips and will become part of my carry rotation, IWB and OWB, depending upon the weather and clothes. To hell with a future high capacity magazine ban! I like my six shooters better anyhow. :D

I Was hoping Colt would bring out a snubby SS Python (fingers still crossed!), but I always preferred the S&W trigger and sights better.

Last edited:
Big Swoll58 on YouTube; ... Gentleman collects these SS S&W's, old and new, polishes them up nice and pretty. Gotta stop watching his videos!!! The Man is Costing me money! :D

*Great Youtube channel, VERY knowledgeable about S&W revolvers!

Last edited:
I have a very rare 686-4 pre-mim 3in going on auction Sunday night $1.00 auction

Enjoy the 686 a fine weapon toss up on a Python - Love my Colts but the S&W was my favorite.

20210216-162345.jpg

Congrats!

We bought one for my wife in 1991. She loves it! The rosewood Hogues fit like the were made for her. The trigger pull is butter smooth. Recoil isn't bad with .357, and it is pretty tame in .38. It is probably the second most accurate handgun we own.

I'll likely have to test it out on squirrels with some .38 wadcutters ammo, as the range is snowed in until Spring. Gotta defend my bird feeders! :D

If this new 686 half is as smooth in the action and accuracy Department as my old 586 4" is, I'll be happy. Been digging through my ammo getting some old stuff together to shoot once she arrives.
Found a full box of vintage Winchester 110 grain +P+ .357 Magnum "Law enforcement only" I bought about 3 decades ago. Sounds like squirrel fodder to me! :D

Wildcat, you are correct. Despite what the SW website says (not listing the 686 2.5" SIX shot model) , this gun (just got it this evening!), was produced in January of 2021. So they still are making them as you stated. :D

Nice gun, tight lockup, a few minor polishing scuff mark's, but hey, It doesn't matter as I'm gonna work on her some. I'm gonna butter and buff her up with Mother's polish this weekend and swap out some grips, get some wood on her. I can deal with minor scuff marks, the main thing is she looks great, locks up tight and the barrel is on 100% perfect! S&W did a fine job on this... I'm impressed.

Got some loose rounds ready in case those squirrels get in my bird feeder again. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Nanuk.

Date of production was 1/21/21... first full day of the new Administration. Ironic as the promised stimulus check was my excuse to get myself another S&W. :D:D:D

Thank you for posting the pictures, Bugs. Very nice. I'm a big fan of the S&W 586/686 revolvers.

Shurshot, now that you've made me aware that S&W is still producing the 686 (and in 2.5 inch no less), I'm quite tempted. Regardless, congratulations.

I picked up an Azula, made in the USA leather IWB holster ... fits my 686 like a glove! Rides high and tight. Can't say enough about these holsters, I own several. Found them on the 'Bay, very reasonable prices too.

Back