686-1, 686-2, etc.?

Carmike

There's a S&W 686 for sale near me, and I'm thinking about buying it (especially if the consensus in my "Taurus" thread is pro-Ruger or pro-S&W).

I was looking on some websites to see other prices, and some models are listed as 686-1, 686-3, and 686-4.

Sorry for the probably ignorant question, but what does the dash-number represent?

I like to think in terms of software, (2.0-2.1 etc). Minor changes to the system that does not justify a new model number, or they may just want to keep the model number active.

People love improvements but hate change.

Dash 1 Dash 2

Engineering revisions to make a more profitable product. Past Dash 4 the dreaded MIM parts, no firing pin on the hammer, and the fatal Clinton internal lock. None of those mentioned did anything to degrade the performance of the 686, yet the resale value depends on NOT having those engineering revisions.
As an aside, the recall for this revolver was in the lower or no dash revisions. The 'M' stamped near the model number means the gun went thru the recall.

Maybe the NOT modified revolver will be more desirable to collectors in the future.

As an aside, the recall for this revolver was in the lower or no dash revisions. The 'M' stamped near the model number means the gun went thru the recall.

I have a 686 (purchased new in early '84) with no dash - and no 'M.' I didn't even know about the recall until a couple years ago. It's always functioned just fine and I have no desire to put it through the recall - if they'd even do it this long after the fact.

To the OP, the 686 is a fine revolver and is an excellent choice for a double action 357 revolver.

my personal 6" 686 is also a no dash without the 'M' recall mark, and its been my favorite 357 revolver for years.

P5 Guy said:
Past Dash 4 the dreaded MIM parts, no firing pin on the hammer, and the fatal Clinton internal lock.
The Infernal (;)) Locking System (ILS) was introduced on the -6 and not the -5.

The reason that the -4 is sought after by S&W aficionados is that it is the first with a topstrap that is drilled and tapped for a scope rail from the factory, and it introduced the optional 7-shot "Plus" cylinder; it is the only version to combine these features with the traditional hammer-mounted firing pin and forged lockwork. -3 and earlier are 6-shot only.

FWIW and IIRC, the forged lockwork has reappeared on the subsequent SSR and some Performance Center versions.
P5 Guy said:
The recall was for the no-dash and -1 only.

The reason for the recall is that some guns were shipped with an out-of-spec firing pin bushing that could allow primers to backflow into the space around the firing pin and lock up the gun. Not all guns were affected, and not all recalled guns were actually modified; those found to be within spec were simply "M" stamped and shipped back to the owner. Similarly, if you find an owner who has fired thousands of Magnum rounds through a non-recalled gun, and he reports no problems, he is likely telling the truth and just happened to get a "good" one. That said, if you intend to use an unstamped no-dash or -1 as a shooter and you have no way to verify the gun's history, I would recommend calling S&W to see if the recall has been done; to add a little more confusion, not all recalled guns were actually "M" stamped!

Last edited:
carguychris said:
The Infernal (;)) Locking System (ILS) was introduced on the -6 and not the -5.

The reason that the -4 is sought after by S&W aficionados is that it is the first with a topstrap that is drilled and tapped for a scope rail from the factory, and it introduced the optional 7-shot "Plus" cylinder; it is the only version to combine these features with the traditional hammer-mounted firing pin and forged lockwork. -3 and earlier are 6-shot only

FWIW, my personal fav is the -5 variant, as it's the only pre-lock version with the combination of (in addition to the d&t topstrap) a frame-mounted firing pin, new style cylinder release latch and a pinned front sight, all of which are my strong preferences for serious use.

=carguychris said:
FWIW and IIRC, the forged lockwork has reappeared on the subsequent SSR and some Performance Center versions.

Unless this reappearance is very recent, the newer PC revolvers I've seen have eschewed forged internals for MIM. AFAIK, spending the money on a PC revolver no longer gets you any tuning or forged parts, but merely a revolver configuration not in their standard lineup.

The guy wants $900 for the revolver (a -4). It appears to be in great shape, but I'm new to this wonderful hobby and uncertain of my ability to buy used guns without overpaying.

OUCH !! $900 seems a little high. Check gunsinternational.com

There are some nice ones for under $700

Last edited:
FWIW M686 values vary widely depending on options and barrel length in addition to dash number. The revolver has been produced in myriad different configurations.

Based on my non-scientific personal observations, the value of the different barrel lengths can be ranked as follows, from high to low:
  1. 5"
  2. 3"
  3. 8-3/8"
  4. 2-1/2"
  5. 4"
  6. 6"
The reason that 5" and 3" rank at the top is that 5" is not a standard production length, while 3" is uncommon and, unlike 2-1/2", uses a full-length ejector rod rather than a "stubby" rod, so some folks covet the 3" guns for CCW.

7-shot clyinders are worth more than 6-shot cylinders.

Other uncommon options, such as non-fluted cylinders, adjustable front sights on the long-barrel guns, factory Target stocks, slab-sided barrels, HiViz front sights, etc. all drive the price up.

I can see $900 for a -4 in some cases, but not for a run-of-the-mill 6-shot 4" or 6" gun with red-ramp front / white-outline rear sights.

7-shot clyinders are worth more than 6-shot cylinders.

the 686 Plus aka the 7 shot has a list price of a few $ more than the 6 shot and blue book list it as being worth more but from what I've seen they actually sell for less on the used market.

The handloads.com link says nothing about the dash numbers for the M686.
...the 7 shot has a list price of a few $ more... but from what I've seen [the 7-shot guns] actually sell for less on the used market.
There's a large amount of regional variation to prices on used S&W revolvers.

Add me to the 686 no dash or M owners like some above I didn't about the recall until a couple of years ago, but since it shoots and functions just fine I'll keep it this way. Mines a 6" also.

The Recall

Similarly, if you find an owner who has fired thousands of Magnum rounds through a non-recalled gun, and he reports no problems, he is likely telling the truth and just happened to get a "good" one.

. . . ^ That would be me.^

Mine's an 8-3/8", btw.

This is what Wiki has to say about the dashes:

686 no dash, introduced model
686-1, 1986, radius stud package, floating hand
686-2, 1987, changed hammer nose, bushing and associated parts
686-3, 1988, new yoke retention system
686-4, 1993, change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, change extractor, Hogue grips
686-5, 1997, change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, change to metal injection molded (MIM) hammer with floating firing pin, change to MIM trigger, change internal lockwork
686-6, 2001, internal lock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_686

I have a 686 (purchased new in early '84) with no dash - and no 'M.' I didn't even know about the recall until a couple years ago. It's always functioned just fine and I have no desire to put it through the recall - if they'd even do it this long after the fact.

S&W will still do the recall. Send it back. :eek:

Back