65,000 Cops' Voices - Are You Listening Washington?

• Thread starter Thread starter .
  • Start date Start date

Jim Fortiss, executive director of the 65,000 member Law Enforcement Alliance of America, says, "This president, almost on a daily basis, exploits the rank-and-file of the law enforcement community to further
his anti-gun agenda, yet his own administration has a reprehensible record of prosecuting criminals who violate the laws already on the books. It is an insult to the injured and maimed police officers and
all in law enforcement who risk their lives on a daily basis to even consider more gun legislation, not to mention releasing convicted terrorists for politically motivated reasons"

This organization will be the next one I join - see http://www.leaa.org . They welcome civilians. Rob convinced me long ago that this is a good group.

Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited September 11, 1999).]

4V50 Gary,

That's an excellent question, and I'm glad you asked it! Next, question? Yes, the fellow in the plaid shirt...

"How many Law Enforcement fraternal and/or professional organizations are there in the US?"

"What percentage of each is duly sworn and active or retired law enforcement officers?"

"Which organizations has leadership or national representation that has gone on public record for or against gun control legislation, and what was the stand taken?"

"Is there evidence in either case that the aforementioned support is not consistent with the rank and file membership?"

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, LEAA may have 65k p.o.'d at Clinton, but Slick has all those "new" officers he hired. No wait a minute, they were counting computers as officers too weren't they. Do you think real numbers and real people mean anything to him?
B

I'm a member and get their "Shield" magazine.
From what I see, they DO represent the rank and file. They are also politically active in the behind-the-scenes environment.

The only gripe I have with them is calling us "civilians". WE'RE CITIZENS, DAMMIT!

I've written to them about this, as to me, this is just another, inadvertant, "Them/Us"
distinction that has no place in Law Enforcement.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Oh no - not the civilian thing again...

:)

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Please, God... Not the "civilian" thing again.....

No, the LEAA's 65k membership is not all sworn.
(Yes, most of them are.)

LEAA does most of its work in the "Behind the Scenes" in DC, but they also have been very active on some local issues, including the Diallo Shooting and the MO CCW movement.

I have a synopsis of their Press from around the country over the last year and it contains well over 100 articles on issues from the Lautenberg Law to HCI.

Jim Fotis, the director, writes the "Street Cop" column in Guns & Ammo.

Their website was beingt re-built last week, I don't know if it is up yet or when it will be, but it wil contain a lot of good info....

------------------
-Essayons

Back