642 carry advice

38Mike

Hello,

Can I get some advice from 642/442 owners on how you tote your piece? I'm talking mainly just around the house, as CC is not yet available in my state.

I've been looking at all the holster maker's sights, can't seem to make up my mind, IWB or OWB. For now I've been sticking revolver in the waistband, I know there's a better
way...any help?

Thanks in advance,

Mike M.

I use a pocket holster when I carry my J-frame Airweight around the house. The gun is handy and safe. Also, frankly, I get fewer questioning looks from my wife and any guests. :rolleyes:

HTH.

when i used to wear it on duty, wore it in a vest holster on my body armour. if you are using it in a vehicle the ankle holster is the most handy...i like the alessi but the ken null is also very nice.

i tried wearing IWB with a blade-tec and found it more comfortable than i would have immagined...but i started putting on weight. :D i didn't like the noise it made on the draw. :(

now i'm using a forbus paddle holster. it is almost as stable, on the belt, as a belt holster (best paddle i've used) and it has a retention feature that really works but doesn't affect the draw speed. it is also MUCH more quiet that any kydex i've used. the best thing is that it only cost about $20...how can you go wrong, gotta be better than skin :eek:

I second the Barami recommendation. In addition, I put on a Tyler T-grip and stretched a bicycle inner tube over it.

Easy answer: http://www.kramerleather.com/

I use the FBI tilt scarbard for around town, usually, but that does depend on what I'm wearing. Sometimes I'll put a IWB holster in my back or front side, again depending on what I'm wearing.

The FBI tilt scarbard is, by far, my favorite holster in the whole wide world.

B

Galco ankle glove. Eventually I'll replace it with something like an Alessi, but since it works so well I feel no need at the moment (heck, that day may never come).

For anyone who thinks the gun won't hold tight under vigorous activity, I've been in several foot pursuits, one which took me over multiple 6' walls, and the damn thing didn't budge. Rock solid.

One thing about which you DO have to be careful is the fact that the 642 doesn't have a hammer spur that a retention strap can 'grab.' Make sure the holster has some type of tensioner.

My first 'holster' for this gun was an Unkle Mike's IWB holster with no retention strap or tensioner. It was an el cheapo solution for a while until I could afford to by the Ankle Glove. The damn gun flopped out onto the floor when I reached up to grab something from the top kitchen cabinet (!). From then on I didn't buy a pistol unless I could purchase the associated holster WITH the gun.

Mike

Hi, Mike. My wife carries her 642 in a cheap little Uncle Mike holster in her purse. I have a smartcarry holster that works with my P11 and her 642. I like it a lot. I have jogged with this holster (w/P11 & spare mag) a few times.

What kind of activity will you be doing around the house? Anything like wrestling with the kids, perhaps? That would determine how much retention you need. Buried in a pocket holster, or OWB with a thumbstrap, for instance.
Right now, I have a product called SideClip, IIRC, that affixes to the two forward screws of the side plate. The gun can be slipped down into the waist with the clip under, or over the elastic waist, depending on what I am wearing. Or, I can tuck it in my pocket like one of the popular liner lock knives. It also does not interfere with my Galco ankle rig. Last I heard, http://www.wilsoncombat.com carries them in black, and nickle.

I was using a Clip-draw also, but took it off and went back to the Hip-Grip. The Clip-draw holds the gun higher out of the belt and a couple of times when I bent over, it fell out on the floor. This was unsatisfactory to me. I prefer appendix carry which may have something to do with it.

Victor,

Activity around the house? Right now I'm remodeling a bathroom, the other day I bent over to check my plumbing work on sink and in the process of crawling around I found
642 had slipped out and got caught up in my sweatshirt; therefore says I, get a holster..

Pocket holsters are out, I wear Wranglers...

I thought about trying the Hip Grip, as has been suggested,
but I'm thinking the gun will still be moving around..

I'm looking at some belt slides and some OWB models, I guess for me retention is most important...even just horseing around the house..

To all, thanks again for the feed back...

Mike M.

38Mike:

I can fit mine in the front pocket of my jeans, with a pocket holster. And I'm not as thin as I used to be...

M1911

Hey 38Mike....

I prefer pocket carry in either my Kramer or Uncle Mikes pocket holsters. I find the Uncle Mikes somewhat more comfortable and less bulky than the Kramer in jeans. On duty, my 442 rides in a DeSantis "Apache" ankle holster. Very comfortable ankle rig (and I hate ankle holsters!)...Don't even know it's there. You may want to consider an M/D Enterprises BS-2 belt slide. Not cheap, but one of the nicest belt slides I've owned. Rides very high and the workmanship is excellent.

Sarge55

Hey Guys,

Once again, thanks for all the help...

I picked up a Don Hume belt slide for the 642. 25 bucks, not a bad holster at all, holds gun securely without thumb break.

Now I can remodel to my hearts content, not having to worry about pistola dropping into the paint can :)

Mike M.

Back