642-1?

Tws3

Inactive
This is my 642-1 that I found at gun shop around 2005. According to S&W it was made in July 1997. It was like new in the original box with all paperwork. I've had a lot of people say all 642-1s are rated +P. I've searched the internet and found many and all I've seen are rated +P. All I've seen are stamped +P on the left side of the barrel. But, Not this one. I asked S&W if it was rated +P and they said No. I asked S&W why and they said because it was not tested with +P and they can't recommend using +P in it. I have shot probably 25 rounds of +P through it with no problems. There's really not much difference between +P and not anyway so I don't really care.
I'm just curious as to why it's not rated +P. It's the same gun. Why would they make some 642-1s and some not using the same model #. I always thought that's what they used the Dash - and extra numbers or letters for. Especially when noting a more powerful round. I'm sure they would have to test with more that one round. So do they take every 642-1 off the line and put 10, 50 or 100 rounds through it and take it back and exam each one under a microscope or what ever for cracks?
Like I say, I'm just curious. What you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_174544.jpg
    IMG_20210110_174544.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 79
"What you think?"

Your gun was made on the "J Magnum frame" which came out around 1996.

The absence of a caliber on the left side of your barrel suggests it's marked on the right side.

My source says all barrel markings were on the left side starting in Aug 1997, and the right sides were left blank.

I think your gun is rated for +P, but S&W hadn't started marking the barrels when yours was made. Just a guess.

I would agree with you, But S&W said it was Not rated +P. Also, on all 642-1 I've seen they are stamped S&W USA on the right side, on the frame. Mine is stamped "Made in U S A" on the right side. S&W said that change was made somewhere around 2000 but could not say exactly when.

Why does it matter? Plus P doesn't reliably expand from the short barrel.
Mid range wadcutters are probably more effective, and are actually pleasurable to shoot.

I had one of those, I remember calling S&W at the time and being told the new frame was, indeed, rated for plus P. Memory tells me that Smith began marking them so and advertising it right after Taurus launched an advertising campaign lauding the ability of their Model 85 and 85UL to digest “unlimited” amounts of plus P. Not saying there is a connection there, though. LOL.

I would agree with you, But S&W said it was Not rated +P. Also, on all 642-1 I've seen they are stamped S&W USA on the right side, on the frame. Mine is stamped "Made in U S A" on the right side. S&W said that change was made somewhere around 2000 but could not say exactly when.
"Not rated +P" does not mean it's not capable of +P. It just means it hasn't been tested for endurance with it. Your gun will not blow up if you shoot a +P round through it. As to durability with a steady diet of it; I can't say.
As to expansion with +P vs standard pressure, well, check Lucky Gunner Labs and decide for yourself.

Back