*&* 640 or What? for My Wife

whitebear

The range where I shoot and train locally is owned by Riley Gilmore, a past Bianchi Cup winner. Riley and his wife feel strongly that the *&* 640 stainless with a trigger job and nights sights is the ultimate CCW piece for the fairer sex. I am trying to help my wife choose her CCW weapon, and would like to avoid buying a new *&*.

We have fired Riley's wife's gun on several occasions, and it is a REALLY sweet gun.

What are my viable alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Grrrr...

...I get a little tweaked when I get advice on guns for "the little lady". I think a compact auto firing full-house 10mm loads is a swell carry gun. Are her hands very small? How's her grip strength? Where/how would she carry it? (Purse carry allows women to tote 4" medium-frame wheelguns and full-size 1911's a lot of places where guys can't: I frequently toted a 5" N-frame in my purse. My friends called it "The Purse Howitzer" ;) )

But yes, for ladies or gents, J-frame snubbies or their Taurus, Ruger or Colt equivalents are fine carry guns.

Let her try a Ruger SP-101 in either regular double action or DAO (spurless hammer). I have had and shot both SP-101 and the 640-1. For my money, the SP is better shooting, more accurate, more durable and more comfortable to shoot. Neither are exactly "pocket guns" so any size difference is kind of a wash I far as I am concerned. I carry my SP strong side in an Alessi Talon and don't know it's there.

If you like the 640, go for the 649 instead. It has the snag free profile, but you can still thumb cock it. This with Barami hip grips is my prefered carry piece.

As far as your wife is concerned, make sure that she is comfortable with with whatever gun she ends up with. I tried and tried to influence my better half into carrying a snubby revolver. Not liking a true double action trigger, she ended up with a Keltec P-32 as her first carry gun. Now that she is ready for a "real" gun, we shopped around and she liked the Glock 26 best. She's getting one for Christmas, shhh.

P.S. I'm playing with her present as I type this, she's not home and I am trying to wrap presents.

Let her try a Ruger SP-101 in either regular double action or DAO (spurless hammer). I have had and shot both SP-101 and the 640-1. For my money, the SP is better shooting, more accurate, more durable and more comfortable to shoot. Neither are exactly "pocket guns" so any size difference is kind of a wash I far as I am concerned. I carry my SP strong side in an Alessi Talon and don't know it's there.

Well said. I love my 2.25" SP 101. It is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The trigger is heavy in DA, but smooth. I prefer the Ruger over any other small revolver including S&Ws...

If you need one for your wife, I have a 649 for sale. Let me know if you're interested. It is also Magna-ported to help reduce recoil.

Randall

How much will your wife shoot? If she is going to frequently practice, then I dont think revolvers are her only choice.

Obviously, sex is not important, training and mindset are.

My wife is, alas, a non-enthusiast. So for her, I think simplicity of operation are key, and she agrees.

Her two favorite guns are a J frame S&W snub 38 and a Keltec P11 9mm. Just pull the trigger.

Thanks for all your input...

The deed is done. I got a decent deal on a custom-worked stainless *&* 640 with a REALLY smooth trigger job and honest-to-golly fixed night sights custom-fitted to the frame in place of the normal frame notch.

We shoot quite regularly. My lovely spouse has fired a rented 640 several times and stated that she really liked it. She has a strong aversion to pistols, so that was not ever a consideration. (She even teases some of the guys in our action pistol league about their "tactical Tupperware".) Now I just have to keep it hidden until I can wrap it and get it under the tree!

Happy holidays to ya'll, and keep 'em in the 10 ring!

Tony

Back