64 gr Nosler BSB - in 223 and 220

603Country

Been fiddling with reloads the last couple of days, all with that 64 gr Nosler BSB. Finally found the magic load in the 223, which is a bit more than 25 grains of H335. Last two groups were 3/4 inch and then 1/2 inch. That'll do for that rifle.

Then on to the 220 Swift, where I didn't expect them to stabilize. But at 100 yards, they do stabilize, though I haven't found the good load yet. It might be that I won't find a good load if the bullet is just barely stabilized. I had to stop shooting this afternoon because when I went out to the bench with a few new loads to try, a big doe and her tiny spotted fawn were standing next to the target, which is next to the yard corn feeder. The shooting will wait. And after I find a decent load (if I do), I'll see if it's stable at 200 and 300. If it isn't stable at 300 or more, it's of no use to me.

And one more thing. The scope on the 220 is the 6.5-20 Leupold with the 30 mm tube. I had Leupold replace the old duplex reticle with their TMR reticle. Man, I really like that reticle. To me, it's way better than the MRAD in the Vortex PST FFP.

It's the usual 1 in 14. It won't stabilize the 60 gr Partition, so I was surprised that it stabilized this bullet - at 100 yards. Maybe tomorrow I'll move a target out in the hay field at 200 or maybe just put it out at 300 and see what happens. I'll be happy and surprised if this bullet works out to 300, but realistically it probably won't.

BSB

Does Nosler still make the Solid Base family of slugs...or are you shooting old stock? I am in the market for .30 cal, 180 ballistic tips with the Solid Base logo, and was under the distinct impression that the "solid base" family had been discontinued.

To get us back on track.......my Ruger 77V 22-250 would stabilize the 60 gr Partition, but I never killed a deer with one of those slugs, or the Ruger 77 either. Never tried them in the Mini-Mauser .223, but the Mini-M did stabilize Federal 62 gr "tactical" bonded slugs well enough for bamaboy to kill two whitetail does at age 11 and 12. I can't say for sure what the twist rate on those two rifles is, but I suspect 1-14 or 1-12, guess I could look. They got plenty dead, but a distinct lack of blood trail on one, when the bullet did not exit. (she didn't go far, but man it was thick).

We recently bought a 1-9" twisted AR, and one of my thoughts was to load up some of the 60 gr Partitions for it and take it for deer this coming year, but that is more of a novelty thought than anything else and verges on the stunt category, as I have far more suitable rifles. A pal got his grandson started with a Mini14 and some heavy bullet reload, it killed well, we suspect the bullet was barely stabilized, and tore serious holes upon hitting flesh. I'll try and remember to check with him.

We also came up with some of the FBI 70 gr (?) bonded bullets for the AR, and it would be interesting to shoot them in the 1-9" for deer.

Bama, Nosler doesn't make that old version of the Solid Base Boattail bullets any more. The Ballistic Tip replaced them at just about the time that I was learning to love the 60 gr Solid Base Boattail. I still have a few in 224 and 270, but they are just gathering dust.

This bullet I'm talking about is new. It's their 64 gr Bonded Solid Base and is supposedly tough enough for tactical/police use. It's a stumpy little flat base bullet.

I tried that 60 gr Partition in the 220 last year and on day 1 it shot a nice group or two. I was feeling like that was the bullet I'd go to, but on day 2 (minor change in weather) it would not stabilize. All I can guess is that it was on the very ragged edge of stabilization and all it took was a bit different weather to throw it off. This new bullet does stabilize at 100, it appears, but I'm pretty much expecting that it won't make it out to 300 without going sideways. We will see, and I plan to try it out this afternoon. Right now I'm trying to get all the copper out of my 220 barrel. Apparently I had enough copper to make a bracelet and I didn't even know it. Shooter's Choice didn't catch it, but Boretech Eliminator has sure found it.

Last edited:
That was interesting reading. It was suggested that the 60 gr Partition would work, but it won't work in my rifle. But...I just finished up with the 64 gr Bonded Solid Base. The results were good and maybe even great. I used IMR4064 and started at 33 grains and went up in half grain increments. I got one inch groups, more or less all the way to the 35 grain max and THEN if put 3 bullets in the same darn hole. I swear. Amazing. So I loaded up a few more and went out to the hay field and propped up a target at 254 yards (wooden power line pole, with the target off to one side). Took me a while to find a solid shooting position, but I finally got into a decent but not great position and sent 5 rounds downrange. It grouped at 2.5 inches. No sideways holes at all. Nice round group and I could've done much better with a rock solid hold from a bench. I can use this bullet on pigs now. That makes me very happy, and when the backordered Norma cases show up, I'll load up 50 or so.

And just to say it...I don't plan to hunt deer with that rifle and bullet.

odd

Seems a bit odd to me that Nosler would market two .224 slugs aimed at the same niche in the market....bigger game.

Back