64-8 Counter Bored.

deerslayer303

Hello Everyone,
I have the opportunity to buy this 64-8 but the thing looks to be counter bored? I don't recall my Model 10 heavy barrel's muzzle looking like this. Have any of you ever seen a counter bored Revolver?
b04b2420da348313d4de6536461312d5.jpg
957b4fdb6ea3e09dafff1b3068b24ec9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My model 64 doesn't look like that either.
I have seen counterbored crowns done on NRA Bullseye Target revolvers.
Typically a heavy barrel , slab sided , 38 special and this crown was supposed to be for accuracy or by being recessed was less likely to be damaged.
If the gun checks out it wouldn't stop me from buying it...but only if I could put me eyeballs and hands on it . Who knows it might be a target grade shooter.
Gary

That's a two-piece barrel.
Just the way it was made.

If you try to cut it off at the end, as Arq did, there will be nothing to retain what's left of the barrel tube.
Denis

The 64 & 67 had the two-piece barrels for a few years recently, and then S&W returned to one-piecers.

Your 64 has the two-piecer.
It consists of an internal narrower barrel tube threaded into the frame.
The outside is a MIM shroud that fits into the frame around the barrel.
The front end is a large flange at the end of the actual barrel tube that holds the shroud onto the gun.

Think of the outer shroud as being a long hollow section.
Think of the barrel as being a flange at one end & threads at the other.

The shroud is placed into the frame, the barrel tube is inserted into the front end & screwed into the frame at the back end.
Tightened up with a wrench that goes inside the barrel & grabs the rifling.
Denis

The 64s are solid guns. Sights are too small and underpowered compared to the .357s, but they do well as kit guns and for small game getting.

Back