629 Mountain Backpacker - Range Report

GrantLee63

Whhhoooaaa ............

Make no mistake - When shooting fullhouse magnum loads through this revolver, you understand why they are called FIREarms .....

I am extremely pleased with the accuracy of this gun. 180 grainers were about 3" low @ 50 feet, but most groups were 3-5" while firing off-hand. I'm sure S&W sights their .44s using 240 grainers .....

Single and Double action was exceptionally smooth, although I did not have a scale to measure the lbs. I honestly thought the recoil was going to be worse than what it actually was, but then again I was shooting 180 grainers. The muzzle blast is awesome in an indoor range, and the muzzle flash is, well, truly spectacular. Allow 2-6 seconds to recover from the concussion between shots. Shooting my MagnaPort customized Ruger SBH with a 10.5" barrel and Leupold 2X scope was downright pleasant in comparison. Expect some attention at the range!

Overall, I am thrilled with this 629 MB. Probably not the most practicle gun I ever purchased, but worth every cent for the coolness factor alone. Now if only PWL would send me the holster I ordered. It's been 9 days now and I'm still waiting. How long did you have to wait for yours Tamara? The HighNoon Mr. Softy I ordered for my Ruger SP101 came in 2 days ..........

Thanks for the report... They are indeed awesome firearms.

Let us know how it goes with the big loads :D.

Here it is ..... THE BEAST!

My Mountain Backpacker has a 3" barrel. I am of the opinion that every gun safe should have at least one BEAST!

Attachments

• mntgun.jpg
    mntgun.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 222
Neat weapon!

My Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (old edition) shows the "Backpacker" was manufactured in 1994 and came standard with rubber grips. I noticed this one also had the new style cylinder release? Was there a new run of these recently? --or did you just get lucky and find one of the original run?

Smith & Wesson manufactured several variations of short-barreled 29's and 629's through the years. My particular weapon was manufactured in late 2000 - early 2001. (Please, NO POLITICS! Please.)

The overall quality - fit, finish, trigger pulls, etc. - are every bit as good as they are on my early and mid 1980's Smith & Wessons. I personally cannot detect any difference between them.

I have read some of the postings describing the horrors of some recently manufactured Smiths - and Rugers, and guess the New Firearm Gods have been smiling upon me, for I am extremely pleased with the quality and accuracy of my newly acquired weapons.

Back