629 DX or Classic? Ruger Redhawk?

Sling Shot

Is there really a difference between the S&W 629 DX and 629 Classic besides wood grips?

Is a Ruger Redhawk just as accurate as a 629 in both flavors?

Which one would you prefer, a 629 or Redhawk and for what reasons?
Sling Shot

i like the smith n wesson ,better trigger.better yet get a colt anaconda.sweet and if you can get a good price on one go for it.

The DX parts are suppose to be hand picked for quality. Gun is typically free of any blemishes and the rifling perfect.

The Smith & Wesson is simply a better engineered and fit product. Think that both the Ruger and S&W will out shoot most enthusiast and would be happy with either purchase that they do.

Robert

If you dry fire your Redhawk and drop a nice Wolff spring kit in there, you can have that SW trigger with the Redhawk's heavy duty ability to handle hot loads.

But the Smith do have the sweetest triggers.

Application ?

:D Either gun will perform their specific tasks
in stlye. The Ruger was designed to deliver large
chunks of lead down range from a massive platform. The Smith is put together to be a smooth and accurate hunting or target gun. The DXs come with a target, my Magna Classic has a 50 yard target
with 6 in 1.3 inches. The post '91 guns will deliver for a LONG time. Have you looked at the .44MAG Mountain Gun ? Superb in fit,packin' and
function...Best...dewey

Sling Shot,

I remember reading that when the S&W test fires the 629's, that the most accurate 5% are given the DX treatment.

Not sure if that's a fact, but it sure sounds good.

Joe

I once called S&W to ask about the DX. The DX's were specially selected for accuracy - IIRC the DX standard was a 1.5" group at 50 yards from a machine rest. I wouldn't mind having a DX if I could find a gently-used, pre-sellout gun, preferably with a 5" barrel. (I think 5" DX's only appeared in the catalog for a year or two.)

The Redhawk has a slightly longer cylinder and a reputation for being stronger than the S&W, and so is better suited for a steady diet of hot loads or handloads with long, heavy, bullets. But the design of the Redhawk precludes a trigger anywhere near as nice as a good Smith.

A typical DX will probably outshoot a typical Redhawk, but not by much.

Roy Jinks from S&W says

that all 629 are test fired for accuracy and the
ones that meet the standard are given the DX stamp.That would make the most sense from a pro-
duction standpoint. So you end up paying alot more for a gun that is standard production but might
group just a 1/2 inch or so better than a regular
629. Sounds like a great way to inflate the bottom line.
Just checked a retailers site. The 6 1/2 inch DX
is $166 more than a regular Classic...dewey

COULDA' BOUGHT ANY, BUT...

I prefer the trigger feel of my Redhawks, and I enjoy the durability advantage, too.

I have four Redhawks; they all perform with stunning accuracy (maybe just great ammo?).

I dont like hauling all that iron around I prefer the plain 629 without the full lug barrel preferibly 4" since the barrel is a different profile than the classic or classic dx the accuracy theory could not apply to it,also I dont care what you do to a redhawk the double action trigger will never be as sweet as a tuned smith niether will an anaconda

Back