629-5

Winston

I am sighting in a S&W 629-5 4". It's got a red ramp on the front
sight and a white outline on the rear sight.

What is a "correct" sight picture?

Tkx

Greeting's Winston,

The correct sight picture is; when looking down the sight line, the top of the front sight should
be in plain view and level with the top of the rear sight; with an equal amount of light showing
on either side of the front sight. This should be correct for a 25 yard target; however as the distance to the target increases, you may need
more elevation on the front sight. At least this is what works for me.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Note.....top of red ramp is usually not even with top of sight....sight perception changes with changing light conditions. For bullseye I black out the ramps.

Sam

Bull's Eye

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by black out the ramps? Where does the red sit in relation to the picture.

What I'm trying to work our in my mind is the perception that I have of when I look at the gun from the side the front sight appears "higher" than the rear sight, which to me means the barrel will angled toward the ground, when "leveling" the sight.

Thanks,

By blacking out the ramp......I mean to use marker pen or black tape or paint etc to make all of the sight the same color. Actual color doesn't matter as long as you can see it. When doin precision shooting you don't always have control of the lighting. In some lighting conditions you see the top of the red insert and in other conditions you may only see the whole sight. Thus getting the effect of different heights of front sight with changes in light. If the colored insert goes all the way to the top of the sight, then no problem.

Sam

Back