629-5 or 629 V comp for trail gun

Bill357

I would like to get some options here. I am looking for a 44 magnum and have narrowed it down to these two:

629-5 with 5" barrel
10 1/2" total length, 45.5 oz.

or

629 V-comp with 4" barrel from the S&W performance center
8 1/2" total length, 43 oz.

which one to get? If I got the V-comp I would probably NOT use the compensator.

V-Comp is too pretty to holster all the time. Both are great guns, but the five inch standard gun serves more of a purpose and is a workhorse. The V-Comp is for the rabid collector and occasional user. There are also availability and price issue. The last run of 629 V-Comps was in the summer and RSR is out of them. So unless you know of someone who actually has the gun for sale, they're gone. And the added cost over the standard five inch gun is about $250. If you beat the gun up holstering it, the gun will not be $250 more when you sell it. Can understand the lure of the Performance Center line, especially the 629 V-Comp. It is among my favorites in my safe. But I think that the lure of desires and practicality cross roads here. With the extra cost of the V-Comp, you can get the standard gun, a few custom features, great holster, and lot of ammunition. That is practical and common sense. But then again, there is nothing like a new pistola that everyone wants to goggle over.

Hope I cleared things up a bit for you. :D

Robert

Back