629 3" ported

gchjr

Inactive
For a couple of strange reasons, I am looking for a 3" 629. The SW website Performance Center shows a 3" ported 629. The ports look tacked on to the end of the barrel so the total length is probably closer to 3 3/4 to 4." I know there are some older 3" models, Magnum Packer, Classic Carry, Backpacker, Trailboss in addition to the current 629 V-Comp but in the 6 months I have been looking at gun shows, nothing has turned up. The Lew Hortons are too scarce and too expensive.

My dealer is checking the distributors. Apparently SW inventories are starting to build again but no luck yet.

Does anybody know of any availability of one of the older 3" 629s or the new V-Comp?

What are the minuses of a 3" ported magnum?

629snub1.jpg

Bought mine quite used (it's a 629-1). Prefer the old, pre-1998 lockwork anyway.

Shoots nice; controllable in rapid fire with medium-spicy .44 Magnum. It's kinda LOUD, but a non-ported 3" .44 is no popgun, either.

You could always just track down a used 3" gun and have it Mag-Na-Ported.

Tamara on the right track.
Older one modified to your taste would be a lot more gun for the bucks.

And would not be supporting the antis.

Sam

The MINUS SIDE OF A 629 3" ported:
[1] You will have to get a used one at a Gun Show.
[2] Most 3 inch MAGNUMS are designed to be carried and not shot. A steady diet of HEAVY FACTORY or HEAVY RELOADS will probablly damage the gun.

[2] Most 3 inch MAGNUMS are designed to be carried and not shot. A steady diet of HEAVY FACTORY or HEAVY RELOADS will probablly damage the gun.

.....eh?

A 3" 629 has just as much meat in the frame as a 6" 629. It lacks a few ounces of weight up front due to the short snout, but mechanically they're similar. There are certain designs which don't hold up well to a steady diet of stompers, but the N-frame is not one of them. Barrel length has no bearing on the longevity of a gun with full-power loads.

I do quite a few 629s' in 3" and longer and I don't find them to be fragile at all. In my opinion you won't shoot a 3" .44 Magnum much if it is not ported, pretty wicked. There are people out there shooting non ported 3" Magnums that just love it, but generally the ported guns are less harsh. Loud is the drawback, the 44s' and .357s' for that matter can be ear shattering. If a 629 is built correctly there should be no problem shooting 10,000 rounds or so without a problem. what we have seen in the past is endshake developing in the 629s' and that has lead to people saying they loosen up. I actually lap the extractor into the recoil shield to keep the endshake from developing. It is not fool proof but it sure helps.

Tamara some day I need to ship you one of my guns to test fire, I need to get you away from Ken Kelly at Mag-Na-Port, LOL! It's OK Ken and I are fast friends. I hope this has been of some help.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

I know of a shop in Florida that has a 3", 629 V COMP LIKE NEW with the aluminum box for sale. Great looking gun.

629 3" V-Comp

Mr. G:

Where is shop in Florida with this gun? I must admit, I like Tamara's gun with the ports in the actual barrel better than that added piece attached to the end of the V-comp.

I saw the article about the Lew Horton model on the S&W website last night. I would love to have one of those, but I can see a couple of problems with buying one of them:

1. I can imagine that these are rather expensive.

2. I don't care for purchasing a new S&W product.

I would certainly love to run up on one of these used and in "like new" condition.

Lew Horton

Bulldog44:

The only one of these I have come across was about $1k asking price from a guy in Arizona I found on this site. I also think the barrels are a bit short, 2 5/8" for the most recent ones. I started looking for these and have broadened my search to the 3" ported models.

Tamara,

Who's holster is that with your gun? And is it IDPA legal?
I just found a 4" Mountain Gun at a reasonable price and it followed me home. Now it needs a seat to ride around in.

Rick

vampyre,

PWL Leather

120TS "Covert".

Available in both 3" and 4" versions.

I know a couple are in stock at Bull's-Eye Sporting Inc., Lawrenceville GA, 770.963.6556

$54.99

chambersjr,
The gun is at Deer Hunter Guns in Clearwater Florida. phone: (727) 724-9038. At least it was two days ago, when I was in there.

629 V-Comp 3"

Thanks Mr. G.

They must be closed today or I just missed them. Will try them first thing Monday morning.

629 V-Comp

I found two V-Comps on line and one in a gun store in Florida thanks to this forum's help.

I talked to a guy at the gun store in Florida; he measured the new-in-box V-comp he had in stock and swears it is a 4" barrel without the compensator. I know SW Performance Center made 5" and 3" compensated 629s but I have found no records of a 4". Guy says it has not been modified and the cutout in the aluminum box case exactly fits the gun.

Has anybody heard of a 4" 629 V-Comp?

The one in the shop is under 4", without the compensator. (which is removable) I measured it when I was in the store last week.

629 V-Comp 3"

Mr. G.

I called Dan at Deerhunter Guns. He got it out and measured it as we spoke. Barrel was 3.75" w/o comp, 4.625" with. Overall gun length was about 9.75"

This is considerably larger than the SW website specs for a 3" V Comp. They list a 5" but not a 4" V Comp. Dan said there was no indication of any customization and it fit the cut out in the factory aluminum case.

I have no idea what this gun is. At any rate, the factory spec of 8.8" overall length is my absolute max for where it has to go. As it is, I may have to take the comp off the front anyway.

He was measuring the wrong gun. The 3" V-Comp is about 3 1/4" without the comp, and a little over 3 1/2" with it in place. It will definitely fit within your 8.8" overall length criteria. He was probably measuring the 4" model.

I love mine and you will too if you end up with one. I highly recommend them.

Back