629 3 inch Barrel

Turk

Anyone have a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel? My local shop has them on sale for $429.00.

Recoil is not a problem and it would be used as a woods carry gun. Unless it kicks harder than my TC Contender in 444 Marlin.

Your thoughts please.

Turk

I would think that as long as you stick to mid range 44 mags or 44 specials, you won't have any problems. Plus, you will also keep your hearing! LOL
Have fun and be safe!

I have one, and like it. Mine has an unfluted cylinder, so is relatively heavy. I reload, and usually stay at 80% to 90% loads, and do not find it that uncomfortable.

With the wrong loads, however, the blast is major. Worst for blast are the generic UMC 180 soft points, which unfortunately are pretty accurate.

I have a 629 with a 2 1/2 barrel of which they have made only 300 of. Full house loads really put it to you as I've shot only a few handloads through it.

My friend vowed never to shoot it again, but when I asked her if she wanted to shoot my father's S&W 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel, she loaded the entire cylinder despite me telling her that she didn't have to shoot all of them.

She replied, "That's okay" and proceeded to shoot all six rounds of .44 magnum.

Turk,

If that 3" M-629 were mine, I buy or make a good strong side belt holster, probably an El Paso Saddlery Tortilla style holster, load it with Silvertips, and use it for a carry gun when I could dress appropriately to conceal it.

Doc Hudson

Back