629-2 Shot Loose?

JNewell

I was looking at a used 629-2 on Saturday that seemed very tight until I pushed back on the cylinder. There's a good .005-007" of end play, maybe a little more. I recall reading a John Taffin article on the changes made to strengthen the 29/629 (I believe starting at 29-5 and 629-3).

Does anyone know what Model 29s do when they "shoot loose"? Is the cylinder end play a problem with this revolver?

Many thanks!

Any revo will shoot loose with time & use. The endshake is due to frame stretch/cylinder collar compression. An easy fix with the proper tools & end shake washers. Not so easy is the cylinder to barrel gap. If it is excessive, it will require barrel setback to correct. Optimum endshake is ZERO, but unreliable due to fouling. Set at .001" & clean often. Make sure of your headspace before setting the endshake.

[Edited by BBBBill on 11-29-2000 at 12:04 AM]

The 629-2's are the last of the old style guns before they were re engineered. If your gun has shot itself loose, it must be rebuilt and possibly modified. Don't think that the factory will modify these guns, they'll just return the gun to factory specification. I would call one of the finer gun smiths (Weigand, Cylinder&Slide, MagnaPort, Clark and list goes on) and see what they can do for you. Sure it won't be cheap, but there is nothing worse than a firearm that will not function properly. Also before investing money into this revolver, have a local smith check the firearm.

Got my 629-2. It is still tight, but I treat mine very gently. Don't think I ever have put a +P load through it.

Robert

Got the same gun

greets,

Just got mine (used). Don't see any problems. Cylinder to barrel gap is the same as my almost new 649. On the other hand, the former owner liked to clean the front of the cylinder by scraping with sharp tools. Here's a couple of interesting threads:

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000283.html

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000286.html

that will shed more light on the "endurance package" S$W started installing.

Robert, do you fire magnum loads in your 629-2? Any problems that you see in doing so in a 629-2?

JNewell, what was the price, if you don't mind my asking. I recommend the gun if reasonably priced.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Tnx, Led. The price (asking) is $500, which I think is waaaay too rich, based on what I've seen.

I did call *&* CS today. Interestingly, they said they are familiar with this. If the crane needs stretching, $50; if the barrel breach has to be adjusted, another $25.

Thanks for the threads, too -- I'll check 'em out.

Ledbetter,

Believe the warmest load that my gun has seen is about 18.5 grains of Accurate #9 under a 300 grain LBT. Done it a few times thinking that I was going to hunt with this gun, but ended up using a 610 instead. Then there was another time some old guy at the range, shooting a Ruger SBH, explained to me how those loads he was shooting would destroy the Smith & Wesson. I traded him six of his bullets for six of mine. Don't know what the loads were and don't want to know either, but to his amazement, I shot them in the 629-2 and the gun was fine. Cases didn't even stick. No cylinder problem either. It is a good gun, it just needs TLC every once in a while.

S&W629classic.JPG

Robert

Does that cannon weigh you down?

Robert T41MF,

Whoa.

Mine is a four inch tapered barrel with a short under lug. It's a gem of a shooter. I've heard it referred to as the Mountain Revolver, an early version of the Mountain Gun. I take it that picture is of your 610?

I don't speak powder, but I guess I can fire .44 magnum 240 grain LSWC's without loosening the gun excessively? I usually shoot .44 Specials, but enjoy the looks of the bystanders at he report of the magnum rounds.

Regards,

Led

I tryed shooting .44 specials in my 8 inch colt anaconda.I thought i would fall forward from the lack of recoil,o what a disapointment,borring.I may not always shoot super hot loads but i have to shoot magnum loads,i mean thats what a .44 magnum is all about KA BOOM,yea the feeling of the concusion in your chest,now thats a blast.

Robert, those are a couple of beautiful pieces there. Always nice to see pride of ownership. I try to keep my firearms in top shape too if for no other reason than maintaining high reliability and most importantly safety (besides, they LOOK SO GOOD).

Back