629-1 purchase

CSKS

I have an opportunity to buy a 95% new S&W 629-1 with a 6" barrel and I'd like to hear from those of you who might have some experience with this model. For about $500, should I go for it or should I get one of the later versions (such as the 629-2 which apparently came out in 1988; or the 629-3 or 629-4) which are supposedly beefed-up to correctly handle the 44 mag load.:confused:

Don't know about the S&W 629-3 or 629-4, but

definitely the 629-5 has the "beefed up" part's,
for handling stout loads.:D And also, $500.00
seems a tad on the high side for a 629-1.:)
Offer the seller $450.00; I bet you he/she would
take it and smile.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

MOLON LABE!!!

I agree with Ala Dan if it is 98%, if less; I wouldn't go over $350.oo. Of course depends on availability in your area and how bad you want it.

Good luck, Sam

I have a 629-1 with 6 in bbl and love it. However, $500 is high. I'd say $300-$350 is more reasonable.

I agree with Sam, my bid would be $350 or up to $400 for 98%. That equates to just about perfect condition, no discernible wear. Any wear at all drops it to 95% or below. Of course, they all shoot so a $350 S&W shoots as good as a 100% condition. HTH

"they all shoot" - interesting comment as one of the things that I found while researching on the 629-1 is that... and if I may quote one of Fraser's posting in another thread ..
".. the early models had a problem with the cylinder unlocking when firing heavy, magnum loads like a 240 gr SWC. The cylinder unlocks, rotates backwards, and when the trigger is pulled again, places the just fired round under the hammer. This results in a quiet click instead of a loud boom. Smith and Wesson corrected the problem in 1988"
I presume the problem was corrected in the 629-2 that also came out in 1988. However, has anyone on TFL actually encountered such a problem?

Mountain Revolver

I have a 629-2 that I got used. It has no underlug and 4" barrel, like a Mountain Gun, but doesn't say "Mountain Gun" anywhere. It shoots great and looks and feels tight to me. I don't know how many times it's been fired. The guy who owned it before me (TFL member) used to reload for it. The enhancements began with the 629-3, as I recall.

Regards.

I presume the problem was corrected in the 629-2 that also came out in 1988. However, has anyone on TFL actually encountered such a problem?

Nope, and I've had about six nickel and blued 29s, none of which was produced later than the mid '70s, all P&R'd guns. And I foolishly fed a couple of them some very, VERY HEAVY handloaded 300 grainers with no complaints other than the felt recoil was awfully inspiring.

If you stay with SAAMI Spec loads....

You will not have a problem with ANY M29 or M629.
The Endurance package of improvements that Smith added to these products was an answer to the Silouette Shooting fraternity, a group of folks that had/have a habit of loading their ammo to significantly higher pressures than factory loads.
There is no reason to be worried about any factory M29/M629 (assuming in good condition) if shooting factory loads.

...........SmithNut

Although i have only shot my 629-1 maybe 250 rounds,mostly 240g JSP's, i never experienced any kind of malfunctions except for a heavy flinch (i know,big baby!!);)

Back