627 PC or model 27?

Randy63

Hello all,

I'd like to hear your opinions on these two guns. Which one has the better trigger, balance, and accuracy, a 627 PC with the 5" barrel and the compensator or a pinned and recessed model 27 with the 6" barrel?

Thanks,
Randy

If the triggers are worked by the same person, they will both be the same. It's the same mechanism. Only theoretical advantage the 27 has is the hammer mounted firing pin, which require 25% less spring tension. But then again. modern smithing has worked its way around that problem. Accuracy again is greatly going to depend on who assembled the gun and what kind of mood they were in. Although modern revolvers have the advantage of computers and CNC machining, they are still fitted by hand, same way its been done for over 100 years. And that is the true beauty of the revolver. It's still a art form.

Robert

I love the pre-27s and as they nicely fitted. One action
is so smooth it's like nothing's moving. That said my
PC guns with MIM parts and frame mounted firing pins are ever bit as smooth just a tad 'different'. IMHO, the lower mass of the enjected parts affects the overall feel.
They all shoot better than I can ever expect to hold with
the M627 PC 5 inch slant lug being of true target quality
...BUY BOTH !...dewey

Dewey, the 627PC does feel different in DA mode. But after sitting and dry firing, comparing it to both the 27-2, and various other N frames (.44 and .45 calibers - new and old). I think that a lot of the difference is actually in the cylinder. Both lighter (more holes) and shorter throw between cylinder stops. Not that sure that the MIM parts are that noticeable. I see a similar difference in feel in the five shot L frame (696). Not a lot, but in rapid DA it is noticeable.

I am glad to hear some positive comments about the 627PC. I bought one for my best friends wedding present (of course the presentation will not take place in front of his bride to be) and after getting it, I wasn't really impressed with the trigger. I never had a real high end revolver and was expecting something that would leave me unsatified for the rest of my life, but I think that most of my stock out of the box revolvers have every bit as good a trigger. These things cost a lot more, and I was hoping this would be the ultimate present. Now all I have to do is keep myself from firing it. I might not give it up.

627 Special Edition

There is a third alternative: The S&W 627 Special Edition. Although not listed in Smith's catalog, these are readily available -- including pre-treason manufacture. I am told they are Performance Center made, but cost substantially less. The Special Edition is an all-stainless "N" frame with a five-inch/full-underlug barrel, a gold dot front sight, and an adjustable rear sight. Further, there is some additional laser engraving on the barrel and other cosmetic enhancements.

Based on personal experience, I can assure you the 627 Special Editions are very well made, high-quality and -- like all full-size "N" frames -- very durable, reliable and accurate. I am so happy with this revolver that I own two -- one with S&W/Hogue rubber grips and one with gorgeous wooden "finger grove" grips.

In sum, the 627 Special Edition is very similar to the PC's 627, but is available for hundreds of dollars less.

A couple of months ago, I posted a "Comparison/Contrast range report" on exactly this subject...the post's title was "A Tale of TWO .357's..." and it was initially posted on 3/5/01...hope this helps some....mikey357

If the PC627 is like my PC629Vcomp, a simple change of the mainspring(or lightening of the strain screw-and locktiting) will make you (444) very happy about the quality of the trigger. Factories just won't give you the light trigger but they do make it easy to get the trigger you want.

(I like the PC629Vcomp as amuch if not more than my DW and FA guns, they are slick and my specimen will shoot as accurately. Put an optima2000 on them and they really become fun)

-CAL

Back