625-7: Do I chop the barrel or sell it?

Brad

I have a S&W 625 (.45 Long Colt) that sports a 6 1/2" barrel. I bought it hoping that I would grow to like it, but I can't seem to adjust to its length. I love having a 625 in.45lc but would prefer something around 4-5".

My question is this: do I send it to a competent smith for a barrelectomy, or should I sell it and find a similar revolver of the desired size. I have some concerns about putting it under the knife as I believe that this was a Lew Horton special and that there are probably not many of these around. (I may be wrong about this). I would hate to desicrate a fine, but uncommon firearm in search of my need for greater portability and general shooting comfort. If however, these are more common than I expected, I would feel comfortable in taking a more radical approach.

Other than the length it's been a great revolver. If I did sell it I would immediately look to repalce it with another 625 long colt in the 4-5" category.

So what do you think? Should I sell it or cut it?

625s aren't all that common used, and brand new we're hearing all sorts of complaints about quality control. So if this particular gun is a good shooter and the barrel length is the only issue, that's a point in favor of chopping.

Other stuff:

Re-crowning the muzzle *properly* will often increase accuracy. And that's part of what you'd get with the chop job.

Finally, this would be a great excuse to put a good Tritium front sight on it. Ashley sells a generic round-barrel base piece that would fit, and then you'd have your choice of multiple heights of dovetailed front sight in either Big Dot or Small Dot, with or without Tritium in either case. Goto www.ashleyoutdoors.com and click the link for "paper catalog", from there download the big .PDF catalog, it'll give the part numbers for all these bits. Call Ashley to confirm proper heights - with an adjustable rear, all you have to do is get in the right ballpark for it to work.

I'd do the chop, if it was me.

If it is a Lew Horton, there is a market for it out there. If its not, a 5" barrel is an ideal length. Chop away.

Personally, I'd keep that one ('less funds are way too tight - but cutting the barrel or changing one out isn't exactly cheap, either), then find a nice OLD S&W 25 w/ a 5" barrel in .45 long colt.

But thats just me. YMMV. Maybe trade it in on another w/ 5" if you can find the right one.

Adios Qweeksdraw

Jim,

Good point about the opportunity to improve overall accuracy. That certainly speaks in favor of doing the dirty deed.

Is anybody familiar with the 625-7's of recent vintage? Other than contacting S&W, how does one tell whether it's a limited run collectible or part of an unusual, but common enough production run?

I'd take it down to 4", maybe 3.5" :).

If it's not currently ported or has other fancy bits, that'll argue against it being a Lew Horton or other custom jobbie. If it's a Performance Center piece, that'll be all over it in big letters.

I'll bet it's a "standard run", although that's not saying a lot for the volumes of those they roll out.

Hacksaw time!

:D

Brad--I'm curious...how "New" is your 625??? Is the firing pin hammer or frame-mounted??? I've got a 625 "Mountain Gun" with the four-inch "Light Contour" barrel in .45 Long Colt (frame-mounted firing pin) that I'd be willing to part with, perhaps....something to think about....mikey357

Another point...

*&* is selling individual barrels now. They are available through Brownell's. This makes purchase of a new barrel possible, while retaining the old one for possible re-installation if the thing turns out to have some collector value down the road...

Or go to a Smith & Wesson stocking dealer (think that they also need a authorized smith too) and have them order the barrel directly. Brownell's is a great outfit, but when it comes to stock that they don't have, they are very slow. Last time I ordered a barrel from Brownell's, it took them over six months to deliver. S&W had the product sitting on their shelves.

I personally would not chop the barrel on that 45 LC gun. Although it is a standard production model, you don't see many for sale.

Robert

Really?

Last barrel we ordered from them, (.41 mag 4" for my roomie's soon-to-be-unveiled project gun that'll make you drool, Robert ;) ) was in stock and came promptly. But admittedly, we've only ordered a few thus far, and luckily all were in stock.

That was the same barrel I ordered for a "when I have time project". Got the barrel. Now I need the time. :(

Guess your roommate will beat me to the punch.

Robert

If it is a LH special, it isn't listed in any ref I have. If you post the product code from the box, I'll check some references and see if I can identify it for you. The only 6 1/2 bbl model I can find has a product code of 100933 showing an intoduction date of 99 with the comment "Power Port 45 Colt". HTH

Tamara,
Thanks for the barrel suggestion. I didn't know that barrels could be purchased separately these days. This might be just the solution I'm looking for.

HTH,
I think you've nailed it. The product code on the box is indeed 100933 and the barrel is ported. The label refers to it as a Power Port as you suggested. I thought it might be a LH special because it sports the nice rosewood grips. However, I assume by your description that it is merely a limited run.

mikey357,
Thanks for the trade offer but I've never been a fan of the Mountain Gun style. I generally prefer the look and feel of the full underlug.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and information. It's given me some options that I didn't know I had.

Back