600 yd match … What to use &how do I get ready?

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
In September there will be a local NRA 600yard shooting match at Stone Bay rifle range at near by Camp LeJeune here in NC. At the moment I have very little information on the event (such as type of target, string of fire and so on) it is however, my understanding that it is an open sight event for any center fire rifle. I have a packet on the way.

I have never shot in an event of this type and am not sure as to what to expect. I do intend to make a good showing for a firs-timer so I am preparing now.

So … my questions are: which rifle; what ammo; what other gear; and how do I train?

I have two rifles that may do well at 600y … The first is a Savage 110 in 7mm mag. The 2nd is an AR-15 HBAR. I am leaning heavily toward the HBAR. It has the 1/7 twist and the standard A-2 target sights.

What are your recommendations?

------------------
to locate, close with and …

I don't pretend to be an expert on this sort of match. However, from years of reading about them, I'd bet that the 7mm would be very noticeably less affected by wind. And, from all I've read, the 7mm is inherently more accurate at the longer ranges.

Going to the Sierra book for comparative behavior, a 50-grain .223 bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3,000 ft/sec has a drop at 600 yards of 156 inches. Changing to a 63-grain bullet at 3,000, the drop is 98 inches.

For a 175-grain spitzer BT at 3,000 in the 7Maggie, the drop is 68 inches.

Windage would be commensurate.

But, with which rifle are you more comfortable? Which one do you shoot best?

FWIW, Art

What's wrong with the heavies? I know the 80 gr. bullet just barely lopes along, but, assuming you get the chance to sight-in and zero at 600, why not? That 1:7 twist just begs for the longer bullets, which have wunnerful ballistic coefficients.

I, too, lean toward the 7mm, but you really should shoot the one you're more comfortable with, and the one that gives greater practical (as opposed to inherent) accuracy.

Regards,
L.P.

I would use the 7mm Mag to train with and use in the first match. This round is flatter shooting and,IMHO, will be easier to get a feel for, at least untill you gain more experience. As Art pointed out, there is a 30 inch bullet drop difference.
My training suggestion, with either rifle, would be to zero at 200 yards, fire 20 rounds and make adjustments as needed; zero at 400 yards, repeating the series; and again at 600 yards, again repeating the series. If you find that your consistency is adversely affected with 200 yard changes, try 100 yard changes. Whatever works for you.
My personal experience with 5.56mm, 55gr and 62gr projectiles, has been frustrating beyond 450 meters :((this is almost 500 yards). I think it's because they tend to be more easily buffeted by wind and heat risers due to the lighter weight.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

What after market sight package would you recommend if I use the Sav. 110 / 7mm ?

Also, is there a better sight setup for the H-BAR ?

------------------

Scott,

Regarding sights on the HBAR, Smith Enterprises makes a rear sight with finer threads, thereby giving you 1/4" MOA and windage. You may also consider replacing the rear aperture and neither are difficult to replace (read the manual first of course).

I also suggest getting a narrower front sight blade than the stock one.

If you haven't already free floated your handguard, do so. Brownells sells the DPMS one which looks just like the regular with the exception of the sling swivel being moved to the handguard. This requires some simple gunsmithing (unless you already know how to remove your barrel).

Last, a good trigger. Milazzo-Kreiger has been the choice of the AMTU and has been known to last well into 20k round. Other triggers are good too.

Free floated handguard, better front and rear sights, better trigger and you've got the basics (along with a heavier bullet). Check out July 1999 American Rifleman for a writeup on the AR15 at 600 yards. The soft recoil of the AR is a definite advantage in the rapid fire string. That's one of the reasons why the AMTU and the USMC are giving up the M14 for the AR.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

In 5.56/.223, don't bother with the 55 gr FMJs. They are typically only 1.5-2 MOA accurate, and their cone of dispersion flares out all over the place beyond 500 yards. Lotta wind drift possible.

Sierra 69-grain pills work great, IME. Their newer heavy (77-gr?) one made for loading short enough to fit in the magazine are also reportedly great.

Is this a 200/300/600 over the course, or a single-distance medium range match fired only prone slowfire? If it is over the course, your bolt gun will be a pain in sustained-fire stages.

If it is a slowfire only match, go ahead and use your bolt gun. Practice with your sling so you build a repeatable position. Feed me your bullet make/weight, launch velocity, sight centerline above the bore (decimal inches), and expected temperature & altitude, and I'll compute some sight change data for you from a ballistics program.

Back east there, you can probably just shoot on the grass, no mat needed. Get a spotting scope with a tripod you can use in prone (set it up on your left side if right-handed--lean over to the left and peek with your left eye at the target). Cheap $30 spotting scopes with narrow fields of view, insanely short eye relieve and dark images hardly work. A pox on K-Mart!

Bring a lawn chair or shooting stool. And water. And sunscreen. And a tripod or stand to hold the spotting scope high enough to use while seated on your chosen butt-rest is an almost essential item.

More info available when we know more about the event.

SCOTT:
You are headed in the right direction. You are planning. You must also plan on how you are going to shoot the match. Then practice that plan until it becomes automatic. Stay with the basic mksmnship priciples and techniques. Do every thing the same way each time, even if you have a failure of one or two shots. Don't change the plan. Those failures came because you didn't follow some part of the plan. Probably over zellous, wanting to get the shot away.

Mental conditioning. Being able to concentrate on your technique during a match is difficult. It takes practice. Sequent your chain of thought. Breath, Relax, pressure on the trigger, and mosot of all, keep you phocal point in the front sight. Trust it, allow it to move, but still increase the pressure.

If something comes to mind, kick it out, stay with the plan. Concentrate, concentrate concentrate. Do it one shot at a time. Score after the match. Call your shots. If you shoot a good shot, try and remember how you did it, repeat it. Use the scope only when you really have to. Shootin and computin will loose the match. I used the scope, after having a good shot, only if the next shot felt bad. Take a peek, remember how you shot the good one and try to repeat it.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited June 27, 1999).]

Talked to a one of the guys at church this morning who happens to be on the Camp LeJeune Rifle Team.

He told me that this event will be a 200, 300, 600 with strings of rapid fire at 2 & 300. (sounds much like the old "K" course)He suggested the H-BAR over the bolt rifle for this course. I agree

He also told me that the event will be held at one of three ranges at Stone Bay. He said that the firing points and the targets are at different elevations at each distance and all different between the three ranges. He said that this sometimes causes problems for shooters who prepared on a straighter flatter course. (Which is what I have to prepare on). He said that there will be no opportunity to zero before the match and that I should be ready to make adjustments during the match.

What are your thoughts or recommendations on this?

------------------

Hurry!

Chrono your loads and give me the speeds and bullet make/weight. What's sight height on the AR? (okay, I'll dig one up and measure it.)

As you start out standing SF, it's quite good to have a decent 200-yd zero first. If you are really good at calling your shots, you *can* use it as a 20-shot sighting-in string...

Your sustained fire strings will start out with you standing up, bolt locked back IIRC the new rules, and a magazine of 2 rounds in the well. When the targets go up, you go down and get in position. Plan on taking 20 seconds to get your first shot off (so practice it in 15).

You fire two, reload, and fire the remaining 8. 60 seconds at 200 sitting; 70 seconds at 300 prone. Try to finish 10 seconds early to allow FUBAR time. Breathe before each shot.

Do you know how to use the sling? Sandbags aren't allowed, but I've been in the pits pulling for guys to put 8 to 10 shots inside 2 MOA at both 200 and 300.

Can you say 8-10 head shots at 200 yards, in less than a minute?

Anyway, you gotta have a decent sling technique, and build a position that holds together through the recoil. Special shooting jackets aren't absolutely needed, but a sweatshirt under a jacket of any sort helps a LOT.

More later.

Back