Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Save for a new gun

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wwrhodes91

Alright, so I'm getting into IDPA now. I have a Glock 34 configured how I like with Dawson sights. I'm going to have about $600 to spend on gear and I'm wondering what I should invest in first. I only have the cheap glock brand holster and mag pouches. I reload, but it is on a single stage press at the moment. I was also thinking about getting an aftermarket barrel for practice since I use lead reloads.

Well, from the outside looking in- you don't sound like you're ready to give up the ghost on your glock. So, you might as well make the game more interesting by obtaining gear such as the bbl, holster/rig, and reloading components. Just my 2.75 cents worth.

Unless you cast your own bullets, I think you would do as well to load plated or coated bullets for the stock barrel.
Bayou Bullets was the first to use the Australian Hi Tek coating in the US, now followed by Black Bullets Intl and SNS.
I am fixing to start with BBI Hi Tek coated, I think it will do better than their old moly coat.
Berry's and Xtreme plated are ok, too.

A good holster - I use Ready Tac, available from CWPSA, but there are others - and a Dillon Square Deal B will put you in business within your budget.

http://cpwsa.com/collections/holsters/products/ready-tactical-uspsa-idpa-holster

Thanks for the excellent advice. SNS, BBI, and Bayou are almost the same price as the lead bullets I buy so that takes care of that. I think I might go with the CPWSA as well. Thanks! Saving money on the barrel will be nice.

Last edited:
Take a chunk of that & look for a Dillon press. If you look around you can pay quite a bit less than retail on a good used one. A better holster & mag pouches will only set you back about $150. Spend the rest on improving your shooting. A good IDPA technique video would help too. I used my Glock 34 for both SSP & ESP. I own & love my CZ single action but there is no disadvantage in using the Glock.

Dillon 550 and Xtreme boolits. Casting lead is much cheaper in the long run but you have an investment in casting equipment on the front end and need a source for free or low coast lead plus you'll need a KKM bbl too.

Another vote for plated bullets with the stock barrel and a progressive press.
I use the Dillon Square deal for handgun reloading, but a friend says the inexpensive Lee Turret is plenty good, too, at a fraction of the cost.

Back