6 shot snub

cana

What is the smallest 2", six shot snub? Do you think that concealing a 6 shot snub is as easy as concealing a J frame?
I read recently that you should always use a J frame only as a backup, not your primary. The author said it was best to carry a six shot snubby as primary gun, because it's much more easy to shoot well than a J frame. What do you guys think about it?

Well, a K-Frame S&W cut down to a 2" or 2.5" barrel can make for a real neat carry gun. The .38Spl variants might be a hair lighter than the .357s, especially if you start with an old "pencil barrel" (light barrel) model.

Thing is, the grip length will usually be more than a J-Frame...that's really where the "improved shootability" comes from.

The Colt version of all this will be a "D-Frame", which includes the Detective Special/Agent series which usually had a shorter grip a bit like a J-Frame, but were six-shot like a K. Some Dick Specials had a longer grip, and there were other D-Frames made with bigger grips like a K, in both .38 and .357, but the latter may be somewhat scarce. Colt had plans for a Detective Special in .357 and shipped a few, but then went out of the handgun biz for awhile. They're starting to come back but the small .357 isn't gonna reappear for a while if at all.

I think these critters can indeed be easy to shoot yet conceal well, esp. if you hang wood grips on 'em that won't hang up on clothes. Ted Nugent used to carry a short-tube K-frame .357 for years on the rock circuit, mostly illegally (see also: "God, Guns and Rock and Roll") - without ever having to pull it, thank God, and he never had a problem keeping it concealed.

The J-Frames were popular more due to the short grips and optional concealed/shrouded hammers than due to smaller frames & cylinders, I think.

Jim

Cana,

I think the writer you mentioned was full of it.

Unless he was talking about a 2" K-frame gun with much better grips. The Colt models that are comparable to the S&W J-frame series are no easier to shoot.

I carry a five-shot J-frame daily, often as my only gun. I don't feel undergunned because I don't have that sixth shot. Infact, when I carry my Italian SAA, it only has five beans in the wheel. Rapid reload is in the form of my S&W M-640 in the front pocket for five more quick shots.

Doc Hudson

"What is the smallest 2", six shot snub?"

Quite possibly the Smith I frame. Considerably smaller and lighter than the steel J frames. I just now weighed a couple. The 4" I frame weighs 19.6 oz loaded with six. The 3" J (model 36) weighs 24.8 oz loaded with five.

In the 60s I carried a 2" model 36 in a crotch holster as backup. Now I often carry a 3" 36 in right front pocket holster. Sometimes as only and other times as backup for 2.5" 686. I am rather small yet have no problem carrying concealed.

The Is and Js are indeed more difficult to shoot well. A good excuse for lots of fun practice. I used a 2" 36 for Navy Expert re-qual one year. Practice pays off.

I would like to have a 2" round butt 19, best of both worlds.

Sam

The Colt 'D' frame detectice Special is the smallest 6 shot snub. It's also the best. Dick Specials have the reputation of being the most accurate of the snubbies. For some court case, Massad Ayube?? conducted accuracy tests with snubs at 100 yards. The 'D' won hands down. A lot of us think the 'J' frame S&W's are TOO small to get a good grip on. The 'D' was the premier snubby. Sort of the Python of the 2" set.
Colt is aparently going to bring back the Magnum Carry. A modified .357 'D' size gun.
The big deal with the 'J' frame S&W's was size. It was the smallest .38 you could get. If a reputable maker had made a smaller gun, people would have bought them. A lot of this was the idea that you could fool yourself that you were well armed, but didn't have to lug around a heavier gun. This started with New York City police detectives. The gun IS the badge of office for them, they just didn't plan on having to actually USE the thing. They used to carry Colts, but when S&W brought out the Chief"s Special, they went to that because it was smaller and lighter.

Back