6 o'clock hold

eddiejoe333

Some months ago, I purchased a Springfield Armory XD Subcompact in 9mm. I'm very happy with it. In the owners' manual, it states that it is made with a 6 o'clock hold at 7 or 10 yards, and they are right. My question is does it make sense to adjust my other, adjustable-sight handguns to a 6 o'clock hold as well? The XD has fixed sights. If it matters, the other handguns are all revolvers.

Thanks,

Ed

FireForged, normally I'd agree, but the XD comes with 6 o'clock, and I'm not sure how to change that. Adjusting the sights on the others seemed easier.

I like the 6:00 hold. I don't want my sights to block out a small target. The thing to know is how high will it shoot at different distances. SD shooting will be fast & not nearly as accurately aimed. It is a matter of personal preference.

If you are aiming for center mass at those ranges, does it really matter? You should still be hitting where you need to for a self defense situation.
I also think it matters what you use your other pistols for. If they are target or hunting only it matters less, if you are mixing them in the carry rotation there is more of an argument for having them all shoot the same.
Are after market sights an option? I'm not familiar with XD pistols, but someone must make adjustable sights for them.

With a 6 O'clock hold at 7 yards, how high does it shoot when "Point of Aim" hold is used ?

What are we talking 1", 1/2", ...? I mean in a personal defense situation are you really going to place your sights on your target, exhale half your breath, then gently squeeze the trigger ?

Where do bullets go when you are frantically jerking the trigger? For a righty it would probably be low left. For an person shooting in a grave situation they may score more hits with a pistol sighted for 6:00. If you are highly trained in stressful situations then you would always be shooting high. I personally would set em up lollipop and call it a day.

To me, it's a personal preference. If you want all your guns shooting the same or would be more comfortable with them if they were, then yes, change the sight adjustment on the ones you can.

IIRC, my XDm 9mm was a hold-over sight picture. I have some that are like this, some that are 6 o'clock, some that are POI/POA. All depends on what "trips your trigger". (sorry, couldnt help it. :D )

Not that it really matters, but I use a "6 O'clock" hold on everything I shoot. Pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and rifles. Of course I'm not a Hunter (:eek:)!

The XD9 I owned about 5 years ago did not require a 6 o'clock hold - and it had the stock sights.

I think for a pure target gun 6 o'clock is OK, probably more effective, but in a split second defensive situation you 'might' naturally aim at center mass and shoot over your intended target. So I do not use 6 o'clock at all.

Back